Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb injury layoff may be long term

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb injury layoff may be long term

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Clubb looks set to face a long spell on the sidelines.

Coach Adrian Lam admits he does not expect the veteran front-rower to be available any time soon.

The prop has a neck injury which, Lam says, “doesn’t look good”.

He has already missed Wigan’s two matches since the season restarted and though Lam says he hasn’t got a likely recovery timeframe, he says he may be missing long-term.

“ It isn’t looking good,” said Lam.

It’s something Tony needs to discuss with our doctor.

“Hopefully next week we’ll have a time frame with him.

“We’re missing a few senior players right now and it’d be good to have him – but I think we’re looking possibly long term with him.”

The former London captain, who had neck surgery in 2016, is under contract with Wigan until the end of 2021.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rm-2944452
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Re: Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb injury layoff may be long term

Post by pearsy »

It's about time Wigan got shot of the lame ducks that keep getting injured over and over again late in there career
superleague

Post by superleague »

Don't wish for clubb to be injured but the longer he's out of the team the better.
He's finished as a player and shouldn't of been kept on in the first place.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wish him a speedy recovery but i agree his time at the club needs to be re-thought - if not just for his own health if his neck is dodgy i wouldn't like to see him jeopardise his health.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Clubb long term injury . chocking on my tea he has been injured along with Lockers and Flower for 3 years these 3 are always missing because of injury sorry but the truth hurts . Without our young heros filling in for them we would be in the shit :( :( :( :(
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ddtftf wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:49 pm Clubb long term injury . chocking on my tea he has been injured along with Lockers and Flower for 3 years these 3 are always missing because of injury sorry but the truth hurts . Without our young heros filling in for them we would be in the shit :( :( :( :(
Agreed, all 3 terribly injury prone.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think Tony Clubb should consider going down the Matty Smith route and look to get a 'lucrative championship contact' at a club like Widnes or Toulouse for a season or two. Tony Clubb fully fit and giving 100% still falls massively down the selection roster for my money.

Disappointed for Ben Flower, I still think he is SL standard and its a shame his future is looking bleak after everything with Toronto. I certainly dont think he is half hearted when he plays but, like Tony Clubb, he is the wrong side of 30 and the youth we have are looking super!

I think SOL would be doing himself a HUGE injustice if he considers playing on in 2021. I agree fully when one or two people commented saying he should have retired after the 2018 grand final. I dont think SOL was poor in 2019, I think he looked very fatigued (consistently) and would say age certainly crept up. Morgan Smithies is too good to be sitting on the bench and needs to consistently start.

Regardless of my opinions though, I'm sure the departure of all three will ease the cap going forwards.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I dont feel Clubb ever got back to full fitness from his last neck injury..against hull that time wasn't it?

Still I do feel its time he was moved on, a championship club wont benefit from his being fit and playing.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I found it remarkable, watching a lot of old archive games over lockdown, how much more he used to do earlier in his Wigan career. The contrast with the present day is marked.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

one of Wigan's strengths through the late 80's and early 90's was the ability to move on a player who was past his best.
I could name a full squad capable of playing against any side in the world of players who were moved on, despite still being able to play. I include Hanley, Gregory, Edwards etc in this list. Wigan used to get the best years out of them, and then say thankyou very much for your service and have someone else in the wings, whether they be a youngester or another signing.

It seems that part of the problem is that we are relying too much on some players who are now beyond their peak playing years and in the 80's / 90's era would have been lot go 2-3 years ago.

Part of this could be because of the issue i think in 2004 /5 when we had several senior players leave, and that left us massively exposed and weaker as we lost a lot of experience all at the same time. the knack of moving players on at the right time certainly didnt work well for us at that time.