Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The other point on the coaches pick him thing

Who else actually is there? Tommy is played in the halves and is too old - we dont actually have another 9 outside of a teenager
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm I agree with other people Powell is always going to split fans because he is a "non special" player. That doesnt mean he is bad by any stretch but he will never turn a match on its head .

Im getting a little fed up of this "coaches like him" argument too, he's dependable, he trains well, no problems off the pitch, comes across incredibly level headed and gives you 100% effort every match OF COURSE THEY LIKE HIM! it does not make him a "great" player

put it this way why has Wane not included him in the England set up? coaches rate him so highly? just not as high as a nearly 35 year old with 500 matches in his legs, Wane coached him for years so that rate highly soon went once give the choice of other hookers. He just isnt at the sharp end of hookers in the league .

Problem is people who are his fans want you to believe he is better than he is
his critics want you to believe hes worse than he is

the true answer is he is somewhere in the middle
HKR!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

He averages 50 tackles a match plays for 80 minutes and doesn't miss tackles also 100% effort every game and i think is getting better at going for the line when its appropriate. He may lack a bit of pace but makes up for it with his all-round game
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:39 am He averages 50 tackles a match plays for 80 minutes and doesn't miss tackles also 100% effort every game and i think is getting better at going for the line when its appropriate. He may lack a bit of pace but makes up for it with his all-round game
Unsung hero.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Does a job, but he ain't a top hooker.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think he’s SoL’s successor for captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Wes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:16 pm I think he’s SoL’s successor for captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm hoping Lam might consider a 'leadership team' for 2021?

Farrell (1st choice), Hardaker, Powell, Bateman and Smithies (long-term/future) are all solid and consistent in their own right and surely 5 heads are better than 1.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Wigan fans sure have gotten used to mediocrity in the last 10 years, Not Wigan standard in a month of Sundays
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I keep reading and keep hearing that his attack isn’t good enough, he isn’t dangerous enough, creative enough etc.

Top try scoring hooker in Superleague-Sam Powell

Top assist making hooker in Superleague-Sam Powell (joint)

He’s turned in to a top player for my money. He’s tough as they come, his work rate is huge, he’s a leader, has a great engine and his attack has come on leaps and bounds. I do t think Lam has improved many players but Powell is twice the player under him.
pedro

Post by pedro »

3rd highest tackling hooker after houghton and mcshane