No RL in fan return trials

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

No RL in fan return trials

Post by Mike »

Seems like every other sport is able to have fans return in September except for RL. Ex-etonian governement making their priorities clear?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/53921797
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Re: No RL in fan return trials

Post by morley pie eater »

Social distancing has been in place for donkey's years at County Cricket - the average "crowd" must be countable on fingers and toes.

Supposing these trials go well and speccies are allowed back with conditions re distancing. Wigan could be well placed: with a 25000 capacity stadium, depending on the rules, we might be able to accommodate, say, 10000, where a club like Saints, with 15,000(?), part standing, could have a 5000 limit.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:45 pm Seems like every other sport is able to have fans return in September except for RL. Ex-etonian governement making their priorities clear?

It might have something to do with the higher infection rates going round in SL compared to other sports, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think PL soccer had any incidents, or matches cancelled on Sky and so far, no ru matches have been postponed either, with their games being shown on BT.
Possibly the events at Hull (with multiple positive tests), Catalans v us this weekend, not to mention the Hastings infringement plus others, may have had a consequence on SL being involved in these trials ?
The extra lockdowns in Lancs and Yorks probably played a part in this RL region of the UK, by keeping fans away from the grounds in this area to avoid further chances of infections here.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:43 am
Mike wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:45 pm Seems like every other sport is able to have fans return in September except for RL. Ex-etonian governement making their priorities clear?

It might have something to do with the higher infection rates going round in SL compared to other sports, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think PL soccer had any incidents, or matches cancelled on Sky and so far, no ru matches have been postponed either, with their games being shown on BT.
Possibly the events at Hull (with multiple positive tests), Catalans v us this weekend, not to mention the Hastings infringement plus others, may have had a consequence on SL being involved in these trials ?
The extra lockdowns in Lancs and Yorks probably played a part in this RL region of the UK, by keeping fans away from the grounds in this area to avoid further chances of infections here.
I agree and think the lockdown will have had a significant impact to be fair. With Greater Manchester and parts of West Yorkshire in lockdown it is only to be expected.

When you look at the RU example 4000 in Twickers, so they are going to be so spaced out it will be untrue, they are going to have to shout to the person next to them :). 2500 at Brighton, so scaled down based on size of the ground v Twickers.

with the RL matches also being double or triple headers (if we manage to complete a full weekend fixture list) how would adding fans currently work. 2000 in for the 1st game, all out, 2000 fans in for 2nd game etc etc. Part of the challenge is that to put games on, the clubs are trying to keep costs down, so opening up every stadium for a very small capacity is probably a cost that the clubs dont want at the minute?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m sure the lockdown has had an effect,Jesus wept people crying about Leeds playing games at Headingley without crowds I just imagine the bowls of outrage that Yorkshire has got games first..

If and when crowds return it’s clear no away fans,try and utilise all four stands for season ticket holders at the pie dome and see how we go from there