Adrian Lam may make changes to Wigan Warriors side

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam may make changes to Wigan Warriors side

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam is considering rotating his troops for Thursday's clash with Hull KR.

Oliver Gildart and Oli Partington may come into the reckoning for the first time since the season restarted.

And the Warriors coach is also considering giving some of his fringe players a chance in the behind-closed-doors match at Headingley.

Lam is mindful that some of his players need game-time, and they have a short turnaround from their 30-22 win against Castleford on Saturday.

It may be an opportunity to play for some players who've been training really well," said Lam. "We'll weigh it up and make a call."

Fringe players in his squad include Jake Shorrocks, Chris Hankinson, Joe Greenwood and Mitch Clark.

Jack Wells, Amir Bourouh and Joe Shorrocks also missed out against Cas, while there are two players in his squad - Kai Pearce-Paul and Sam Halsall - yet to make their Wigan debuts.

Gildart hasn't played this year following shoulder surgery last autumn and Partington is available after serving a suspension.

Lam is hoping to today find out the severity of a knee injury suffered by Liam Marshall on Saturday.

He will also discover whether Morgan Smithies faces any charges for the tackle which saw James Clare stretchered off.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... de-2957176
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Adrian Lam may make changes to Wigan Warriors side

Post by Mike »

Good time to rest people and give others a shot at impressing IMO. We'll need the whole squad t get through the end of this season and we do have some depth.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Josie/Mike do you have any information on Chris Hankinson's future?
I heard he has another 2 years after this season and after he was given shirt no 3 things looked positive for him but he is not being selected or given any opportunity by Lam, quite the opposite by the looks of things, is he injured or is this another Escare situation being created?
I followed him via Swinton and yes I do have a biased view, he seems to getting seriously messed about, hope he has a future at Wigan but not looking good for him at present, especially if he doesn't play v HKR
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jackthelad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 am Josie/Mike do you have any information on Chris Hankinson's future?
I heard he has another 2 years after this season and after he was given shirt no 3 things looked positive for him but he is not being selected or given any opportunity by Lam, quite the opposite by the looks of things, is he injured or is this another Escare situation being created?
I followed him via Swinton and yes I do have a biased view, he seems to getting seriously messed about, hope he has a future at Wigan but not looking good for him at present, especially if he doesn't play v HKR
I’ve said the same. I’m fed up he is not being given a chance. I wish the club would not sign players on a ‘whim’, make them think their luck has changed & they have the chance to play on the big stage only to leave them backstage like understudy’s! They did the same with Jarrod Sammut & several other players!

I know it’s sport & you pick your best side, but to continually overlook a player must be soul destroying. They probably wished they hadn’t come to Wigan sadly 😢
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The squad numbers thing I’ve always taken as fairly meaningless in regards to where a player sits in a coaches thoughts,it’s clear we haven’t seen anything of Hankinson true form,he either gets in then picks up a knock or is dropped to make way for another player it is frustrating for fans let alone the player.

Given that cut backs are almost certainly going to be made maybe it’s time to let him go at the seasons end?

A playing career is short and it’s not right he’s just sitting it out
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 pm The squad numbers thing I’ve always taken as fairly meaningless in regards to where a player sits in a coaches thoughts,it’s clear we haven’t seen anything of Hankinson true form,he either gets in then picks up a knock or is dropped to make way for another player it is frustrating for fans let alone the player.

Given that cut backs are almost certainly going to be made maybe it’s time to let him go at the seasons end?

A playing career is short and it’s not right he’s just sitting it out
He’s named in the squad for tomorrow, hopefully he will get a game. He’s a good player & a good kicker as well 😊

I like him 😊
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Problem for hankinson is that we've got French and hardaker to get into the team. That takes one centre spot so he's got to displace bibey and gildart to get a look in. Hard to do especially when you don't get any game time. Even though he's in the squad this week, he'll have to be selected out of position or in front of gildart and bibey to get any game time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

To be fair he was signed due to injuries then suffered a horrendous eye injury himself in his 2nd game, I think if Wane was still the coach he would be a far better player and have had more game time and SL experience

SL experience is the only thing I can see Bibey has more than Hankinson he doesnt offer anything exceptional in attack, unlike gildart who has quicker pace

Hankinson took his limited chances really well scored some decent tries, kicked well and fed his winger plenty good ball, he played several positions inc 2nd row i see a utility value on the bench at least if he cant get a starting spot

For some reason Lam don't like him?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

jackthelad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:16 pm For some reason Lam don't like him?

Because he now has French *and* Hardaker?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐