21-man squad vs Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull KR

Post by doc »

That squad looks a bit thin in the forwards, especially in the prop department.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Yep. Really missing that George Burgess.
More seriously, hope that Greenwood gets a try at loose-forward which might just be his eventual position. Good ball-handling skills, good football brain and decent defence.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:27 am Yep. Really missing that George Burgess.
More seriously, hope that Greenwood gets a try at loose-forward which might just be his eventual position. Good ball-handling skills, good football brain and decent defence.
As much as a ball playing 13 is such an advantage I think you can mitigate with a creative fullback I.e French. If we had Hardaker as fullback then the requirement would be much more. I think the safest option is having our 13 to be an additional 2nd row in the absence of lockers. None of our existing second rowers really have the ability to be considered a ball handler so no point forcing it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am
Southern Softy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:27 am Yep. Really missing that George Burgess.
As much as a ball playing 13 is such an advantage I think you can mitigate with a creative fullback I.e French. If we had Hardaker as fullback then the requirement would be much more. I think the safest option is having our 13 to be an additional 2nd row in the absence of lockers. None of our existing second rowers really have the ability to be considered a ball handler so no point forcing it.
Maybe powell at loose with tommy hooker and smith at 7?if im not wrong powell played at loose for a big part of the KR match there, i think
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It looked to me that way and I think we've done it before when Smith, Powell and Tommy are all on the pitch. With French seemingly on a 'go where he thinks best' type of play, it looks odd but seems to work. It does mean that French can chime into the line (a la Sammy) all over the pitch and although it leaves holes in defence it does make for impressive attacking. It normally means that you have to have your best props and second rowers on to strengthen the defence. I wouldn't fancy it against Saints but against lesser teams, it could be effective.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

My concern is at centre. It looks like Gildart will return with Bibby going left wing or standing down. If French is again fb then Hardaker will be centre with Hankinson omitted yet again. Should French or Hardaker cop a knock then Hanks could well be drafted in after not playing for four weeks plus. Not good is that!

We need to play Hanks both for his position at centre and his goalkicking. It appears at times Lam is creating a favourites list with his team selection. 21 in the squad but only his favourites in the team.

BTW where's John Winder? Seen Lockers and Peet with Lam but not seen Winder, anyone know if it's just that I've missed him or other reasons?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

If Olly plays, then it would make sense to play Budgie on the wing. They know each other's play and I thought Budgie was very effective last week.
Agree about Hankinson. He does lack pace but is a decent player who never slacks. Would give Hardaker a break from kicking as well.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:01 pm My concern is at centre. It looks like Gildart will return with Bibby going left wing or standing down. If French is again fb then Hardaker will be centre with Hankinson omitted yet again. Should French or Hardaker cop a knock then Hanks could well be drafted in after not playing for four weeks plus. Not good is that!

We need to play Hanks both for his position at centre and his goalkicking. It appears at times Lam is creating a favourites list with his team selection. 21 in the squad but only his favourites in the team.

BTW where's John Winder? Seen Lockers and Peet with Lam but not seen Winder, anyone know if it's just that I've missed him or other reasons?
Is he better than Hardaker? Is he better than Gildart? Which one will you drop for Hankinson?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Im all for giving lads a game but winning comes first....... ide only rest players that arnt fully fit or carrying knocks...... I personally hope borough gets a chance
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

My view on Hankinson is that we need to keep the whole squad match fit. I think he should have a game and maybe play Zac from the bench or rest him. Not doing so risks Zac or Bevan getting a knock and Hanks then not having had a game for months.