21-man squad vs Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull KR

Post by moto748 »

Thanks for writing that so I don't have to! :lol:

Yeah, pretty much. I always liked the look of Shorrocks, and I thought he did pretty good again today, but he's a back-rower, not a prop, isn't he? Out-thought and out-performed by a very decent side, for all our failings.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Good wake up call this was. Should set us up nicely for when it gets serious.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I will defer judgement until we have played Saints, but am pleased he hasn’t got a new contract yet. If you have nobody willing or able to take the ball forward and dent the line, you will never win a game. George B (for all his faults), Havard and Bullock (and Lockers in a way, but not sure he counts) are the only ones we have. It was madness to play none of them. We can’t let Flower go quickly enough and Partington and Byrne need to step up if they are ever going to be top props, though there is time for them to do so.

I happen to think that, if we keep the big lads fit we could make the top 4, as we have a potentially terrific back line, but that was 2 points simply given away by inept coaching and selection.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:52 am I will defer judgement until we have played Saints, but am pleased he hasn’t got a new contract yet. If you have nobody willing or able to take the ball forward and dent the line, you will never win a game. George B (for all his faults), Havard and Bullock (and Lockers in a way, but not sure he counts) are the only ones we have. It was madness to play none of them. We can’t let Flower go quickly enough and Partington and Byrne need to step up if they are ever going to be top props, though there is time for them to do so.

I happen to think that, if we keep the big lads fit we could make the top 4, as we have a potentially terrific back line, but that was 2 points simply given away by inept coaching and selection.
Our style of play doesn’t allow forwards to flourish. Our wingers run the ball in harder and faster.

I also wouldn’t say our back line is potentially terrific. It’s one of the worst and weakest I’ve seen.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:57 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:52 am I will defer judgement until we have played Saints, but am pleased he hasn’t got a new contract yet. If you have nobody willing or able to take the ball forward and dent the line, you will never win a game. George B (for all his faults), Havard and Bullock (and Lockers in a way, but not sure he counts) are the only ones we have. It was madness to play none of them. We can’t let Flower go quickly enough and Partington and Byrne need to step up if they are ever going to be top props, though there is time for them to do so.

Our style of play doesn’t allow forwards to flourish. Our wingers run the ball in harder and faster.

I also wouldn’t say our back line is potentially terrific. It’s one of the worst and weakest I’ve seen.
Not sure I would go that far but it is bang average.

Two good things about last night.

1. It was a reality check for the team. We are nowhere near a top of the table side.
2. It highlighted why French is playing in SL and not the NRL. Should be easier to keep him after that.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

There does seem to be a problem with the forwards. There needs to be some serious conversations within the club about Clark and Burgess and both Shorrocks and Byrne seem to be blunt instruments who simply run at defences again and again without breaking through or looking to recycle the ball. Partington was obviously feeling his way back and didn't we miss Smithies? It shows how important Havard is and that can't be right for a 19-year old to be so vital.
Greenwood was the most effective forward but time and again when he looked to offload, neither French or Hastings was around. Gildart looked fine but Bibby wasn't suited to being on the wing.
It was obvious that Tony Smith saw how the match was going and switched to our right wing while Lam just rolled his eyes in the stand. Although Manfredi and Hardaker didn't play that well, the real problem in a sliding defence is Isa. Frequently out of position, it mean that Hardaker was forced to cover two attackers and then Manfredi was inevitably drawn in, leaving the wing free. Check how many times Isa not only doesn't make a tackle but is yards behind the attack.
I'd try Greenwood on that side (Faz didn't work there last season).
I guess the most worrying thing for the rest of the season is that with 25 minutes to go our sole method of attack was for individuals (Hastings, Hardaker) to think that they could burst through the middle instead of getting the ball out fast to the wings, It smacked of no proper off the field preparation and we shouldn't be surprised if other teams will have learnt how to play against us for the rest of the season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve never been convinced by Lam and nothing this season has made me change my mind but I’m sure he will still be charge next season.

Hardaker isn’t a great centre but he is a very good defensive FB.

French is wonderful going forward we all know that but fairly hopeless as a defensive FB,I’ve thought it from day one indeed I called him a luxury player when he signed and got soundly bagged on here and FB,but I stand by it when he signed we had more wingers than we knew what to do with and 2 very good FB,so at the time very much a luxury player,a devasting luxury that’s for sure though,but why was Bibby on the wing last night it made no sense at all French should have been there and moved Hardaker back,it was a crass and stupid decision by Lam he is the boss so he has to take it on the chin when it goes wrong.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Our attack has been the worst of al the top teams for a number of seasons. We can’t even create an overlap. We need to get Hastings playing like he did at Salford, controlling, organising, creating tries and not driving the ball in like a prop forward. Hastings and Smith need to play together and not on opposite sides of the field. We do have the backs and forwards to play an entertaining game but would suggest we play Hardaker at full back ( his best position) and Bevan on the wing with a roaming commission. With the likes of Smithies, Harvard, Shorrocks, Farrell, Partington and Bullock they are not the biggest but they are mobile so we need to move the ball about more. Greenwood caused more problems for the defence than Isa has done all season. Unfortunately, Farrell and Greenwood are both left sided players. Our biggest problem is Lam and if we fail to make the top 4 he needs to be replaced. A win against Catalan is crucial otherwise we could be battling it out with Leeds for fourth.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Given Hastings willingness to run, is there an option to ask him to play at 13 and move French into the half’s? Let Smith organise and let French run with Hastings floating around as an extra ball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Hastings man of steel last year at 7, why move him to 13? We need to play to his strengths. If Watson was coaching this team we would see a different Hastings and a more entertaining team. Lam needs to be replaced at the end of the season and bring someone in who is going to improve our young players.