21-man squad vs Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull KR

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Agree with your points, just putting alternatives options out there.

We should have given Watson the opportunity straight after Wane rather than the whole Edwards / Lam situation.

I do wonder though given how manner youngsters we have, are they all accustomed to Wane’s style of find the floor upon contact and loom for the quick play the ball. Some of the players would not no any different from juniors through to first team and that could take quite a while to coach out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ManxWarrior wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 am Given Hastings willingness to run, is there an option to ask him to play at 13 and move French into the half’s? Let Smith organise and let French run with Hastings floating around as an extra ball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely not.

Our attack is rubbish and disorganised with players in their natural positions, apart from Zak. Why complicate things by moving Hastings to a position he has never played, a position that will require 40 tackles a game and move french to a position he will need to do ball handling and have less space.

You can mitigate not having a ball playing 13 by reverting to traditional first and second receivers (7 and 6) with good optional runners and full back or centre hitting it wide as 3rd man.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Having watched the Academy teams for the last couple of years, their style of play is totally different from the first team. They have played some great successful attacking rugby which has been a pleasure to watch. Sadly this looks like it’s being coached out of them and are playing more safety first i.e. one man rugby. Lam promised us a more attacking style of play than Wane dished up but this has not been the case. We are boring to watch and that’s down to Lam’s tactics.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think we firstly need to stop plsying this prop at 13 crap....... with the faster game it isnt suited...... we have far better options and we still have three forwards on the bench....... one extra ball handler in the middle of the park won't do us any harm...... im amazed were still doing this to be honest...... in dreadful conditions it would make sense
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

To be fair, most of the successful NRL sides manage without this mythical ball-playing 13 that everyone seems to think is so essential to rugby league (not saying it's a bad thing, though, of course). I'd settle for Jason Taumalolo, though! :lol:

Obviously it depends on your squad. Does anyone else get the sense that the main reason French isn't , and won't, play on the wing is because French doesn't want to play on the wing? I'm not saying French at f-b is a disaster, or wrong, but clearly his strengths are his running game and pace in attack. He is a less good defender. I guess you could have said the same about Matty Bowen, but is French a worse defender than Bowen? Probably. Bottom line, if injuries or other reasons mean he should play in the wing, than he should, cos he is fine there. He doesn't look anything like a half-back to me, so I can't see sense in putting Hardaker at f-b and him in the halves.

I agree with other comments about Hastings, and that he should be playing as a half, not some kind of loose forward.I kinda get the sense that the extent of the coaching is 'go out and do whatever you think best, lads'.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

This is why Lockers needs to do the decent thing and p$$$ off and retire!!! we need a proper solution at 13 and his persistence on staying on as a player hinders us replacing him so we end up with makeshift 13's all the time
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 pm This is why Lockers needs to do the decent thing and p$$$ off and retire!!! we need a proper solution at 13 and his persistence on staying on as a player hinders us replacing him so we end up with makeshift 13's all the time
Couldn't have said it better
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

So, to sum up:

•Lam, Lockers and Flower to go immediately;
•Shorrocks, Clark, Byrne, G Burgess, Isa and Partington are not up to it;
•French to wing, Hardaker to full back, Hastings to 13;
•Bibby a centre not a winger, though when we signed him he was a winger not a centre;
•Stop split halves, replace Powell, Tommy to retire.

I only read the last two pages of posts, so please excuse me if I missed anybody.

I can picture Corporal Jones running around like a headless chicken saying "Don't panic!", and Private Frazer saying "We're doomed...doomed!"
And the Germans haven't invaded yet, we just lost one match with half of our first choice team sitting it out.

I'd love it if we'd had a fans' forum in the 70s. What would they have made of Hornby, Whittle, Martland, Blackwood, Breheny, and the rest?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It was a poor and directionless performance worthy of criticism, morley.

Because some criticisms may seem unfair or invalid, doesn't mean that all are.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

We never seam to find teams weakness it was the same with Wane and now with Lam they never seam to target individual players players like the Aussies do they run the same players over and over for the full 80 mins