Liam Marshall facing up to a year on the sidelines

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Liam Marshall facing up to a year on the sidelines

Post by fozzieskem »

Wormburner wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:58 am put French on the wing and Hardaker back to one, It ain't rocket science
You’d have thought so wouldn’t you?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:56 am

What’s up with putting Joe Burgess there?

Think Dom came back a week too soon if I’m honest, he was in a bad way emotionally when I spoke to him 😢
Nothing wrong with Burgess on the wing, of course'he should have played last night. I meant as cover: now we only have Joe and Dom (who had a real stinker yesterday; not sure where his head is at) as actual wingers. And I don't care if he has played there a lot, that pudding Bibby is no winger. Gildart at least has pace and footwork. I now he's better used in his proper position, but we have other centres, we don't have other wingers, that is all I was saying.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am
Wormburner wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:58 am put French on the wing and Hardaker back to one, It ain't rocket science
Maybe the beginning and end of Lam's 'attacking style' is having French at f-b rather than Hardaker?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:07 am Our wingers are cursed with these ACL injuries
It's the Castleford Curse.
We lose wingers every year at Cas with season ending injuries and it is evident that the same curse follows them to Warrington.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It's a big loss, and probably one of the reasons why we struggled against KR this week. Marshall is one of our top metre makers in a team that has very few. He could be more important than we realize to the success of the team. The forwards have to step up from now on. We can't have Hastings taking in drives!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

moto748 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:50 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am
Maybe the beginning and end of Lam's 'attacking style' is having French at f-b rather than Hardaker?
Interesting to think that might be an actual option but we are talking about Lam's decision making, nous and tactics or lack of... dont hold your breathe
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Why on earth would we want our most potent attacking threat moved to an area where he can have less influence?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It does seem to be a bit of a waste to have French on the wing where he'll rarely get the ball in positions where he's most dangerous. He's shown countless times this year that he can create opportunities and often those opportunities have been the only ones the entire team has created. He seems to be carrying a bit of a knock though. That strapping on his knee may give an indication as to why in recent games he hasn't seemed too keen to jump to compete for the ball. It's obviously an option, but I think if we play French on the wing this year that will remove any hope we have of him being here next season.

Right now the obvious wing options are Manfredi and Burgess. Dom had a shocker last night but in fairness he was absent the game before for compassionate reasons. Maybe it was just a lack of focus from him. Burgess should now have a good chance to show he can still offer us something in his final season with us. Bibby, while not necessarily doing anything wrong, seems too slow to be a winger when we've got Manfredi on the opposite wing, who seems to have lost a lot of pace since his injuries. I think we need a pacey winger. Bibby also doesn't seem to have the work rate to match our other wingers.

I do think it would be a good opportunity to give Hanley some games this year though. I don't think he's ready for the fullback role but he's played all the backline positions and he's pacey and elusive. Could be worth a go in one or two games later on when squad rotation will be a necessity.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 pm Why on earth would we want our most potent attacking threat moved to an area where he can have less influence?
I agree...... keep frenchy there and zak at centre.......oli at other centre....... its our halves that need to combine more to get the best out of our link to fullback and the threequarters......we also serioudly need give willie a rest and start greenwood
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Poor lad. Not had much luck has he?

Hope he recovers asap.