Catalans away

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Levrier

Re: Catalans away

Post by Levrier »

I believe that Wells has burned Mr Lam's house down and eaten his dog so an u16 will be playing prop next week. :lol: Either that or Clark might have to play.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Bilko wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 am I might have missed it but I am not sure that Harry Smith got on the pitch last evening?
He was on before Powell scored playing the last 15 minutes.
Ta Bilko
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I thought Lam deserved a lot of credit mitigating our yardage problem against a traditionally big Cats pack. Kicking early from dummy half is a great tactic if you can rely on strong chase and defence, its an alternative to gain teritory that I think we may have to rely on more this year unless our forwards can make more inroads. Excellently executed by Powell's kicking and the whole team's defensive effort, but clearly good coaching form Lam.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Said that to my son during the game against Leeds . Kicking early in the tackle count when you have speedsters like French is a good tactic when we struggle to make yards up the middle . The kick chase has to be spot on though.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

If we are going to use that as a tactic, then the kicking needs to be better. Tommy seems to have got more distance than usual judging by the Cats match but his kicks tend to go straight down the throat of the full-back (assuming the oppo have one back there to cover.) Harry Smith is the better tactical kicker and our chase is normally very good. The tactic worked well sometimes on Saturday because Cats didn't seem to have anyone covering at all for our first few plays.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The tactic of kicking early paid off v Catalans, Tommy's kicking game was poor as usual though. We now do have alternatives with Powell, Hasting and Smith. That could serve us as well v Hull as it did with Catalans as their pack will be bigger than ours, so too some of their backs, Hull have no one as fast as our fast men though.

A good tactic which was a large part of getting us the win. Credit to the coaching staff and players.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

The early kick worked well against an unfit team, remember Catalans hadn’t played or trained together due to self isolating. The most pleasing think for me was the players mentality compared to previous weeks, and if they can keep that up, then I can see us adopting this tactic more frequently especially against the bigger teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Tommy's organization and setting up plays is first class, especially from set pieces and makes a great link between the backs and forwards, and we miss that when he's not there - but his kicking game is, and always has been, poor to say the least. And of course his defence is second to none for a half back.
On the other hand, Smith has a great kicking game, has more pace and backs plays up well. His kicking game is generally accurate and gives our chase an advantage getting on top in defence downfield. He's also been able to provide a few 40/20's at crucial times. His experience is not what TL offers at his young age, but his promise is great and whilst he's willing in his defensive duties, but he's not at the level of TL.
So who should we play for the rest of this season, and looking to the Hull match ? Or should we continue to mix and match them, at the expense of another forward on the bench ?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think we have to continue to mix and match, for this season at least. Both have plenty of offer the team in their different ways.