Ethan Havard signs new Wigan contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ethan Havard signs new Wigan contract

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors youngster Ethan Havard has signed a new deal that will see him stay at the Club for the 2021 and 2022 seasons, with a further option for 2023.

After making his debut for Wigan last year, the 19-year-old has made a breakthrough into the first team squad this campaign, making eight Betfred Super League appearances so far in 2020.

The Bulgarian-born prop joined Wigan’s Scholarship system in 2016 from Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC. After progressing to the Under-19s level in 2018, the 6ft 3 forward became a double Academy Grand Final winner with Wigan and in total made 42 appearances, scoring 16 tries.

In July 2019 against Wakefield Trinity, Havard played his first professional game for the Club. Ahead of the 2020 campaign he was given the No.30 shirt as part of Adrian Lam’s 2020 first team squad.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Ethan has proved in recent weeks that he has a very bright future in front of him. He is more than holding his own in Wigan’s first team squad and has shown maturity beyond his years.

“He is a very confident, calm and composed individual who has a clear direction of where he is going in the game. We look forward to watching his career develop.”

On signing the new deal, Havard, said: “I’m buzzing. This is where I want to be, and this is where I want to play. I’m enjoying my rugby; I like my teammates and I love coming into training every day. I felt like I’ve found my feet by learning off all the players in the group.”

Head Coach, Lam, said: “Ethan is a young man with a big future. He’s come through our junior programme, so he understands our DNA as a Club and who we are.

“He works as hard as anybody in the Club and he’ll only get better with more pre-seasons and taking on the advice from his coaches.

“We’re very proud to have him at our Club. He’s our future and he’s one of many young players coming through that we are looking forward to seeing develop.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... -contract/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Ethan Havard signs new Wigan contract

Post by josie andrews »

Bloody great news 😆 A future captain IMO with a similar temperament as Sean O’Loughlin 😊
Very happy with this 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Good piece of work there by Wigan . Great news.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

Delighted with this news. Wigan have done well to keep him given the interest from the NRL. He has a great future. 😊
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Great to have him re-sign for us. Well done IL & Rads on retaining a quality young player.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Credit to both young Ethan and the club for keeping him here,I don’t doubt he will leave to go to the NRL at some point but he is clearly far to young to jump on a plane just yet
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

In focus: Ethan Havard

After signing a new deal with Wigan Warriors, we take a closer look at Ethan Havard’s career so far with ten facts…

Havard was born on the 26th October 2000 in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria, where his father worked in telecommunications and his mother was a nurse.

Continuing a family tradition, he was named Joseph Ethan Havard, as his father is called Joseph Kieron Havard and his grandad is called Joseph Brian Havard.

His family moved to Bath when he was six-months-old, before moving to his father’s hometown, Wigan, a few years later.

The prop got his first taste of rugby league when he was five-years-old, as he started playing for Wigan St. Patricks ARLFC, where his father was a coach.

Havard joined Wigan’s Scholarship system half-way through 2016, and in his first full season in 2017, he was awarded The Riversiders (Wigan Warriors Supporters Club) Under-16s Player of the Year.

In 2018, he was promoted to Under-19s level in the Warriors Academy and played a part in the Grand Final winning squad that beat Leeds Rhinos 14-6 at the DW Stadium.

Havard joined Wigan’s Scholarship system half-way through 2016, and in his first full season in 2017, he was awarded The Riversiders (Wigan Warriors Supporters Club) Under-16s Player of the Year.

In 2018, he was promoted to Under-19s level in the Warriors Academy and played a part in the Grand Final winning squad that beat Leeds Rhinos 14-6 at the DW Stadium.

In total, whilst playing for the Under-19s, Havard scored 16 tries in 42 appearances.

At the start of the 2020 season, he was handed the No.30 shirt, and has made eight first team appearances for Adrian Lam’s side so far this campaign.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... an-havard/
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Great news. He looks a good player now so will be a real asset as he develops.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hopefully he will be one if them players that will happily play out his career over here...... great news...... i think this lad is gonna be something special
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Nice news
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise