CROWDS SET TO RETURN TO SUPER LEAGUE

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: CROWDS SET TO RETURN TO SUPER LEAGUE

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors welcome pilot events

Wigan Warriors are delighted of the news that rugby league fans will return to the Betfred Super League on Wednesday September 30 for the Round 14 traditional derby fixture with St Helens at the DW Stadium.

After the Government granted permission for four fixtures to be staged at pilot events, it was confirmed on Thursday that attendances of 1,000 will be permitted at games.

One of the four is the first meeting of the 2020 season between Wigan and St Helens, which will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski, said: “This is very exciting news for all rugby league and Super League fans.

“We can’t wait to see Cherry and White fans back at the DW Stadium and what better way for them to return – albeit in short attendance – than to watch the traditional Wigan-Saints derby.”

Further details of the arrangements for the fixture on Wednesday September 30 will be announced in due course.

Due to the expected huge interest in this fixture, please be aware that unfortunately we cannot guarantee to answer individual queries about the ticketing arrangements until they are confirmed. Thank you for your patience and understanding with this matter.

The other three fixtures granted pilot event status are: Castleford Tigers versus Hull FC; Huddersfield Giants versus Hull KR; and Leeds Rhinos versus Catalans Dragons.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... ot-events/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 pm I don't see the point of 1000 fans. Daft tokenism, and won't make the club any money to help on the financial side. The only purpose would be, so the commentary can witter on about how great it is to have fans back in the stadium.

it isnt about the money, even though KR mentioned it a few weeks ago, but i think he was hoping to have more fans in attendance

this is about getting fans back into sporting events. the have started with other sports and RL wasnt included in the 1st stage, probably because West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester were in lockdown at that point

This is only the 1st step in looking to get the game (and many other sports) back to where they want them to be will all fans in attendance and not segregated.

I've seen both Wigan and Saints fans griping about the 1000 being in attendance. At the end of the day we need to start somewhere, and if that means just home fans to start off with then so be it.
If Wigan can demonstrate that the 1000 works, then in the next few weeks they may be able to push that to 3000 - 5000 (whatever number is advised) and you are then close to getting half of the season ticket holders into the games. Yes, that still isnt ideal, but given what we have all been facing for 6 months, then anything is better than nothing
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO quietly fuming about the inconsistency of it all?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Now Wigan is on red alert for the virus I wonder what chance it has of going ahead?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm Now Wigan is on red alert for the virus I wonder what chance it has of going ahead?
https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Docs/PDF/Resid ... acker.pdf
In the 7 days 5th– 11th September, Wigan had 151 new cases identified
Wigan, with a population of just over 100,000, has 151 new cases which is equivalent to 0.0015% of all pie-eaters in town. I would love to know how that is a "red alert"

On a side note. Anyone with health problem should be barred from the trial games for their own protection - let's throw that suggestion into the mix
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Its 0.15% actually. But the problem is the exponential growth potential. With an R number close to 2 and nothing to reduce it, in 2 months you'd have 151 * 2^8 = 38000 cases! And that's just doubling every week. It seems it doesn't take a week to become contagious with this thing. It why leaving things just a few more days creates a much higher peak and has the potential to overwhelm the hospitals.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm Now Wigan is on red alert for the virus I wonder what chance it has of going ahead?
Wigan, with a population of just over 100,000, has 151 new cases which is equivalent to 0.0015% of all pie-eaters in town. I would love to know how that is a "red alert"

On a side note. Anyone with health problem should be barred from the trial games for their own protection - let's throw that suggestion into the mix
Dont shoot the messenger im just giving the message..
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Sod off 😠
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

The "trial" run of games is just the start of a learning curve to extend the numbers of fans attending games and the 1,000 total is the same for all other sports like football, cricket and rugby union.
If all goes to plan, it then gives the Govt the green light to test higher attendances, and is nothing to do with making money out of it, at this stage anyway.
Be interesting how the 1,000 will be allocated to the 9,000 odd season ticket holders ? If they put fans in each stand, it's just 250 in each (excuse my maths :geek: ) !
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Cant see it happening at all if the R number keeps rising its going the roof at the moment. Is it just a co-incidence that since the schools went back the infection has risen when the pubs and restaurant's opened there was no massive jump. Kids don't show symptoms they go home pass it to their parents who spread the virus. Know of 3 schools that are affected in Wigan.