Wigan v hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan v hull

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:44 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm
Wormburner wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:37 pm That Sam Powells not a bad player
Nah..worst ever,shouldn’t ever play etc,etc,etc😀
If he carries on playing like he has been the last few games then I will be happy to hold me hands up, It looks like he's finally shook off the Shaun Wane way of doing things, Lamies way suits him better, Long may it continue :D
Late bloomer perhaps?

I always thought he did what he was told but as you say under Lam he has come into his own,the same could said of Isa another hard worker who just gets better each season
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Wormburner wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:37 pm That Sam Powells not a bad player
Lam has said that they are working on Powells running and kicking game and it definitely shows. Well done all concerned.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

So loads of people have “discovered” Sam Powell.He’s doing just what he’s always done.Think back to the season MM broke his leg and Sam had to step up to 1st choice hookerand was voted Players Player of the Year.Watch him organise the goal line defence especially with such a young side.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Superb performance! No team would have beaten us in the QF on that display! Lots of confidence going into Stains and Wire at Wembley!

Hopefully manage to scrape a ticket for both :lol:
jobo

Post by jobo »

jao711 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 am So loads of people have “discovered” Sam Powell.He’s doing just what he’s always done.Think back to the season MM broke his leg and Sam had to step up to 1st choice hookerand was voted Players Player of the Year.Watch him organise the goal line defence especially with such a young side.
And coached by Wane.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't suppose this is going to be liked or agreed with but having seen him yesterday, if we can use SOL as a 2-spells per match player - one as a prop in the first half and then as a second half sub where the need is greatest - half-back/loose forward or prop, then it will make us a better team with more chance of honours.
I know Hull were a bit limp but he can still do a job and we seemed more organised when he was on.
I'm guessing we will be without Dom for the next match - there's a protocol if you fail a head assessment - we should be able to cope with Hardaker on the wing and Greenwood (who seems back to his best)/Isa inside him.
And yes, Powell is having the season of his life.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:23 pm I don't suppose this is going to be liked or agreed with but having seen him yesterday, if we can use SOL as a 2-spells per match player - one as a prop in the first half and then as a second half sub where the need is greatest - half-back/loose forward or prop, then it will make us a better team with more chance of honours.
I know Hull were a bit limp but he can still do a job and we seemed more organised when he was on.
I'm guessing we will be without Dom for the next match - there's a protocol if you fail a head assessment - we should be able to cope with Hardaker on the wing and Greenwood (who seems back to his best)/Isa inside him.
And yes, Powell is having the season of his life.
I have stated myself previously that SOL would benefit the team being used as an interchange prop. However, I thought yesterday he looked sharper and his game management had a good influence but, I still think age has crept up on him. He looks good for 20 minute spells. Sadly, SOL isn't a prop though (naturally) and Partington, Byrne, Havard, Clark and Bullock are all too significant to miss out. Then we have Smithies who I think in a season or two will look extremely sharp at 13 and needs to start week in week out!
For me now (despite how good he was yesterday), SOL is too close to 40 and we cannot afford sentiment to impact the long-term playing roster. Excellent all round performance yesterday though. Would be fitting if SOL could lift a trophy this season and retire gracefully :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao711 wrote:So loads of people have “discovered” Sam Powell.He’s doing just what he’s always done.Think back to the season MM broke his leg and Sam had to step up to 1st choice hookerand was voted Players Player of the Year.Watch him organise the goal line defence especially with such a young side.
Doing what he’s always done? Never in a million years. I don’t think anyone has discovered him either. Perhaps it’s time for those who sang his praises when it wasn’t warranted to give some credit to the current coaching staff for the change in his play and acknowledge Wane held him back? He’s definitely running more so why wasn’t he doing that previously? Presumably because he was told not to.

Wasn’t he a half back as a junior Wigan player? The way he played under Wane you’d never have guessed.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:40 pm
jao711 wrote:So loads of people have “discovered” Sam Powell.He’s doing just what he’s always done.Think back to the season MM broke his leg and Sam had to step up to 1st choice hookerand was voted Players Player of the Year.Watch him organise the goal line defence especially with such a young side.
Doing what he’s always done? Never in a million years. I don’t think anyone has discovered him either. Perhaps it’s time for those who sang his praises when it wasn’t warranted to give some credit to the current coaching staff for the change in his play and acknowledge Wane held him back? He’s definitely running more so why wasn’t he doing that previously? Presumably because he was told not to.

Wasn’t he a half back as a junior Wigan player? The way he played under Wane you’d never have guessed.
bang on davo, hes defo a much better player under lammy........ for what reason i dont know ,but its good stuff
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

As someone has said - a very good team performance, I can't recall anyone having an off-day. Considering the HIA losses we really did well. Hull played physical with not much guile but it shows we can beat a bigger team.