saints game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: saints game

Post by Mike »

It was the right move IMO. Us turning out and acadmey side was disrespectful towards stains which only made it better.

Did you notice that with just two of our front line props on the field - Flower and Clarke - saints couldnt score. They've got nothing. No wonder they're out of the cup.

BTW DaveO. If we hadn't had a cup game on the weekend we definitely would have played a full team, just like saints did...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well I for one am proud of those lads.

Cracking display, okay we didn’t score but what great defence from those young lads.

18 points up at half time! 24 points scored in the second half!

From a full strength Saints team! It wasn’t the 75 nil Saints were expecting.

Majority of that team haven’t played a game in six months. Average age 22.

😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Can’t take much from that game really I hope,it pays off but we shall see.

Few thoughts on the young lads..

Hanley nowhere near ready yet time will tell but clearly needs more time

Halsal give him a game or two

Kilner pick of the bunch looks good to go,give him a few more games,the season is all but meaningless so why not?

McDonnell another good looking prospect.

We’ve all said it but it was unfair to throw so many players in but hey ho.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Just as I was ready to switch off, a bit of sense from the last 3 posts!

Thanks Mike, Josie and Fozzie.

Seeing Leeds are doing the same, maybe the Whinoes fans can do a cut-and-paste job from the previous pages?

:lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am Can’t take much from that game really I hope,it pays off but we shall see.

Kilner pick of the bunch looks good to go,give him a few more games,the season is all but meaningless so why not?

Agree with most of that - i think a little harsh on Hanley i thought he did well but was always likely to endure a bad night - its like being an academy keeper put in against liverpool first team you are going to be the focal point.

My only worry was how little forward momentum we got - even with Bullock/Flower/Byrne/Clark in the team we struggled to make any yardage and that is a concern as Bullock i would say is our best prop but looked like he was running into walls last night.

I thought Greenwood had a decent match too he probably made most amount of impact going forward
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am Can’t take much from that game really I hope,it pays off but we shall see.

Agree with most of that - i think a little harsh on Hanley i thought he did well but was always likely to endure a bad night - its like being an academy keeper put in against liverpool first team you are going to be the focal point.

My only worry was how little forward momentum we got - even with Bullock/Flower/Byrne/Clark in the team we struggled to make any yardage and that is a concern as Bullock i would say is our best prop but looked like he was running into walls last night.

I thought Greenwood had a decent match too he probably made most amount of impact going forward

I would also add Hankinson to the positives from last night considering he's not played this season as well

The zero is disappointing but the young lads were up against it from the start
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:08 am Well I for one am proud of those lads.

Cracking display, okay we didn’t score but what great defence from those young lads.

18 points up at half time! 24 points scored in the second half!

From a full strength Saints team! It wasn’t the 75 nil Saints were expecting.

Majority of that team haven’t played a game in six months. Average age 22.

😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
18 point scored when we was a player down I may add
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am Just as I was ready to switch off, a bit of sense from the last 3 posts!

Seeing Leeds are doing the same, maybe the Whinoes fans can do a cut-and-paste job from the previous pages?

It’s Wigan V Saints ,first time this season !!!! They have written books about this , Derby actually named for this . Doesn’t this matter any more ?
It isn’t just league points ( or win percentage) . Utter contempt for the fans . As said previously the boys on the field can hold there heads up , it’s the rubbishing of a derby by Lam that’s wrong .
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nah, I disagree, it was the right thing to do. Show the youngsters how much they need to improve to mix it with the older players and rest our first choice for the bigger prize.

Even if we lose the cup game it was the right call.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

up the junction wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am Just as I was ready to switch off, a bit of sense from the last 3 posts!

It’s Wigan V Saints ,first time this season !!!! They have written books about this , Derby actually named for this . Doesn’t this matter any more ?
It isn’t just league points ( or win percentage) . Utter contempt for the fans . As said previously the boys on the field can hold there heads up , it’s the rubbishing of a derby by Lam that’s wrong .

It's today's circumstances, UTJ ! You can't blame Lam, if we'd played a full team and picked up injuries to say, Gildart, French, Hastings, Farrell etc then fans would have come down on him with the Cup Semi in 4 days time !

And if you look around, Warrington fielded a virtual Academy side, Salford only had 1 or 2 regulars and Leeds tonight are fielding 8 Academy debutants ! That says it all really.

And in this year of all years, there'll probably be no books or little written about last night, and soon forgotten anyway, but the financial rewards of getting to a CC Final will define the season from a budgeting viewpoint with a possible trophy on the sideboard.

As far as league points are concerned, the top 4 is most likely going to be on neutral grounds with zero fans, so the finishing positions are not so crucial, provided you do make the 4. Agreed with Wintergreen.