saints game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao711
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: saints game

Post by jao711 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am

Warrior20 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Surely Walmesly went against the natural knee bend then!
Ben Flower got 2marches for less.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: saints game

Post by Nezza Faz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am

jao711 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am
Warrior20 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Surely Walmesly went against the natural knee bend then!
Ben Flower got 2marches for less.

Wish Flower could march a bit more effectively than currently doing ;)

jao711
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: saints game

Post by jao711 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:26 am

Nezza Faz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am
jao711 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am
Warrior20 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Surely Walmesly went against the natural knee bend then!
Ben Flower got 2marches for less.

Wish Flower could march a bit more effectively than currently doing ;)
So typical of this site a typo turned into criticism of the player.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: saints game

Post by Caboosegg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 am

Fans who paid for a ST have a right to be annoyed when the club they support Throws a game. That is what happened however anyone wants to dress it up.

We got nilled, i remember when Wanes wigan got nilled due to a virus (supposedly) no excuse was good enough... whats changed?
The Turkeys voted for Christmas.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices

George Orwell

Fan4Fifty
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Re: saints game

Post by Fan4Fifty » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:26 am

C'mon all the critics, let's get real and have a sense of perspective. This is nowhere near a normal season and let's put this match into context:

the squad have just come off a 4 month mid-season layoff
they probably still can't train as they would like
the reserves haven't played for months
we have 3 matches in just over a week
saints didn't have a game last weekend
we've had 4/5 matches since resumption, probably not enough to get fully match fit again
in financial terms, CC is probably more important than Super League, and that matters.

Despite everything we want our senior players to play 3 tough matches in just over a week (oh, and we have to win them all comfortably to be satisfied)! There is a responsibility to look after player welfare as well as satisfy supporter expectations.

On the match itself, I like everyone else hate losing to saints, but I thought our defence in the middle was fantastic so well done to the young forwards, but we were skinned on the edges by a good, near full-strength team. And I don't underestimate how a loud support at the DW might have given an extra lift to the players making their debuts last night.

Big stick
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Re: saints game

Post by Big stick » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

Fan4Fifty wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:26 am
C'mon all the critics, let's get real and have a sense of perspective. This is nowhere near a normal season and let's put this match into context:

the squad have just come off a 4 month mid-season layoff
they probably still can't train as they would like
the reserves haven't played for months
we have 3 matches in just over a week
saints didn't have a game last weekend
we've had 4/5 matches since resumption, probably not enough to get fully match fit again
in financial terms, CC is probably more important than Super League, and that matters.

Despite everything we want our senior players to play 3 tough matches in just over a week (oh, and we have to win them all comfortably to be satisfied)! There is a responsibility to look after player welfare as well as satisfy supporter expectations.

On the match itself, I like everyone else hate losing to saints, but I thought our defence in the middle was fantastic so well done to the young forwards, but we were skinned on the edges by a good, near full-strength team. And I don't underestimate how a loud support at the DW might have given an extra lift to the players making their debuts last night.
Good analysis, not too often you hear us being good up the middle and bad on the edges which is promising. A positive to that is a lot of those youngsters look like there a good season away from a 1st team appearance.

There are clear things to work on for both the youngster and even the 1st team (unlike saints fans I can admit we are not the best at times)

I’m looking forward to the rest of the season as I can see a few of these youngsters getting some game time off the back of yesterday.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1661
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: saints game

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 am

up the junction wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am
morley pie eater wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am
Just as I was ready to switch off, a bit of sense from the last 3 posts!

Thanks Mike, Josie and Fozzie.

Seeing Leeds are doing the same, maybe the Whinoes fans can do a cut-and-paste job from the previous pages?

:lol:
It’s Wigan V Saints ,first time this season !!!! They have written books about this , Derby actually named for this . Doesn’t this matter any more ?
It isn’t just league points ( or win percentage) . Utter contempt for the fans . As said previously the boys on the field can hold there heads up , it’s the rubbishing of a derby by Lam that’s wrong .
Books have been written about people being captured by aliens.

However much you disagree with Lam's decision, he clearly made it in what he saw as the best interests of the club and the players, and was therefore not "rubbishing the derby".

It's actually possible to strongly disagree with someone without attacking them or their motives - you should try it sometime. The British were noted for it once upon a time.

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: saints game

Post by Charriots Offiah » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm

morley pie eater wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 am
up the junction wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am
morley pie eater wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 am
Just as I was ready to switch off, a bit of sense from the last 3 posts!

Thanks Mike, Josie and Fozzie.

Seeing Leeds are doing the same, maybe the Whinoes fans can do a cut-and-paste job from the previous pages?

:lol:
It’s Wigan V Saints ,first time this season !!!! They have written books about this , Derby actually named for this . Doesn’t this matter any more ?
It isn’t just league points ( or win percentage) . Utter contempt for the fans . As said previously the boys on the field can hold there heads up , it’s the rubbishing of a derby by Lam that’s wrong .
Books have been written about people being captured by aliens.

However much you disagree with Lam's decision, he clearly made it in what he saw as the best interests of the club and the players, and was therefore not "rubbishing the derby".

It's actually possible to strongly disagree with someone without attacking them or their motives - you should try it sometime. The British were noted for it once upon a time.
👍

moto748
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: saints game

Post by moto748 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:40 pm

DaveO wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:01 pm
The league this season is a farce. The % win ratio was bound to take a hammering tonight because even without a cup game to come, Lam would have had to rest players due to the quick turnaround. A four day turnaround is a joke and there is nothing to say it could not happen again.
When I was a kid and used to go and watch my local football team, there was one old boy who stood in the same place every week on the terraces, and all he did every game was shout out "Shower of shoite! Shower of shoite!"

Your posts remind me of him.

And yes, what morley said.

No straw damn us
Posts: 1694
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: saints game

Post by No straw damn us » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 pm

It's nothing new.
Cas v Wigan 1993, Radlinskis debut, lost 46 - 0, a game we could have postponed due to International call ups.

Post Reply