Cup match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Cup match

Post by Suzieb »

what I meant with my last post was that we are supposed to play saints on a Wednesday and the cup semi final on a Saturday surely the match against saints will have to be rearranged,anyone heard anything.
jobo

Re: Cup match

Post by jobo »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm what I meant with my last post was that we are supposed to play saints on a Wednesday and the cup semi final on a Saturday surely the match against saints will have to be rearranged,anyone heard anything.
It's going ahead as planned apparently, two games in three days.

Could be a few rested for the Sts game.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It's a shame we have such an important league match just before the QF but the second match must take priority. Leeds have a game on the Wednesday too which helps but I'd be looking to rest more than a few. There are some players we really don't want to be missing because of their importance to the organisation of the side plus those forwards who find it difficult to back up so quickly because of the demands of their position. We have a big squad including several players who need game time so let's bring them in. Although it's painful to accept, this particular saints game isn't as important as the QF.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:35 pm It's a shame we have such an important league match just before the QF but the second match must take priority. Leeds have a game on the Wednesday too which helps but I'd be looking to rest more than a few. There are some players we really don't want to be missing because of their importance to the organisation of the side plus those forwards who find it difficult to back up so quickly because of the demands of their position. We have a big squad including several players who need game time so let's bring them in. Although it's painful to accept, this particular saints game isn't as important as the QF.
Semi final
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Play the second choices against saints. Good opportunity to get everyone a game in case they're needed later.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

It's unlikely/unrealistic to field completely different teams in the 2 games. So it becomes a question of who plays in both, who plays either/or, and which is the priority.

Some who'll be expected to play in both could perhaps be rested for the Wakefield match, especially anyone carrying a knock.

It's interesting that some posters (including DaveO) have suggested that the cup game should be the priority. I agree. What's the prize money for winning the cup, and will that influence IL's/AL's decision?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 am Play the second choices against saints. Good opportunity to get everyone a game in case they're needed later.
Wash your mouth out with Soap :D
As much as going for the cup seems the smart idea, i cant believe people want us to throw a derby match to do it 😂.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was wondering how we could go about it. I wasn’t sure whether Smithies would be available by then, but assuming he was we could (if everyone is fit) choose from a big pool of forwards:

Props - Havard Burgess Bullock Flower Singleton Partington Byrne Clark (so could play 4 different ones in each game and still be fairly competitive?)
Hookers - Powell and Bourouh (Tommy?)
2nd rows - Lockers Faz Greenwood Isa Wells Shorrocks Smithies

So, we could be competitive even if we rest every forward we want to play in the semi.

Without tempting fate, I would have thought it would be easier to play twice in 3 days as a back, and so having a few players doubling up (but using, say, Bibby, Hankinson, Hanley and possibly Shorrocks) could be ok. It is such a shame that such a significant match has to be “sacrificed” though.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:34 pm I was wondering how we could go about it. I wasn’t sure whether Smithies would be available by then, but assuming he was we could (if everyone is fit) choose from a big pool of forwards:

Props - Havard Burgess Bullock Flower Singleton Partington Byrne Clark (so could play 4 different ones in each game and still be fairly competitive?)
Hookers - Powell and Bourouh (Tommy?)
2nd rows - Lockers Faz Greenwood Isa Wells Shorrocks Smithies

So, we could be competitive even if we rest every forward we want to play in the semi.

Without tempting fate, I would have thought it would be easier to play twice in 3 days as a back, and so having a few players doubling up (but using, say, Bibby, Hankinson, Hanley and possibly Shorrocks) could be ok. It is such a shame that such a significant match has to be “sacrificed” though.
Smithies got a six game ban, so he will miss the semi final, that being the last game of his ban.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Does anybody know if Singleton is cup tied? Toronto won a cup game and I don't know if he played. However, even if he did, would he know be eligible if their results have been expunged (sorry, really like that word)? If he is cup tied we could play him against saints and rest someone else.