Lam hints O’Loughlin contract extension

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Lam hints O’Loughlin contract extension

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

If he was paid a decent wedge as a coach and a pay as you play as a player wouldn't both salaries count against the cap .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

So his coaches and team mates still seem to value SOL. Wilkin and Peacock (pretty experienced guys) spoke of his influence and quality. And is it coincidence that our attack looked as good and organised as any time this season against Hull? He played reasonable minutes against Hull and was excellent.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Ahhh the old "the coaches see something in him argument"

SOL is done - he's a burden to the squad, even if he plays well a few times he is still a burden because we wont move on fully and bed in a full time replacement until he leaves and we are also paying him to watch most games from the stand - and to be quite frank I hope he isn't going anywhere near the first team in terms of coaching otherwise that's a joke.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am Ahhh the old "the coaches see something in him argument"

SOL is done - he's a burden to the squad, even if he plays well a few times he is still a burden because we wont move on fully and bed in a full time replacement until he leaves and we are also paying him to watch most games from the stand - and to be quite frank I hope he isn't going anywhere near the first team in terms of coaching otherwise that's a joke.

Why would it joke if he because a first team assistant? Hes already coaching lower down isnt he?

We play better with lockers in that changing room, while that is the case i dont see the issue with him being there player or coach wise.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:17 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am Ahhh the old "the coaches see something in him argument"

Why would it joke if he because a first team assistant? Hes already coaching lower down isnt he?

We play better with lockers in that changing room, while that is the case i dont see the issue with him being there player or coach wise.
Sorry to qualify i meant as a first team head coach
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Ahh the keyboard coaches have spoken I trust SOL is clearing out his locker as we speak.

I always felt once he copped that knock in the eye he would go again and if press is to be believed French and Hastings are going we can’t just wave him off to be honest,same with Tommy he will be there next season too
Wigan_forever1985

So what you keep a player 2-3 years past his best going for 20-30% of matches (which by the way you cant pick he is injured for finals too)

The problem youre talking about us having is the problem with keeping players who are past their best going, if lockers and tommy had gone end of last season like they both should have we'd have 2 replacements now with a year under their belt for if french and hastings do go to minimise the disruption
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Coaches are judged by results - correct? Team-mates enjoy winning - correct? So they are all pretty stupid if they pick/enjoy playing alongside a guy who contributes nothing, or worse in some people's opinion, actually detracts from the team effort. Of course SOL is near the end of his career, but he still has abilities that no one else in our team has and I think he deserves a lot more respect than he gets in some quarters.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I can genuinely see both sides on this, but would point out that "past his best" is irrelevant. What matters is how good he is. Would you have Doc Murray or Paul Koloi at their peak, or Hampo at 90%?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:07 pm So what you keep a player 2-3 years past his best going for 20-30% of matches (which by the way you cant pick he is injured for finals too)

The problem youre talking about us having is the problem with keeping players who are past their best going, if lockers and tommy had gone end of last season like they both should have we'd have 2 replacements now with a year under their belt for if french and hastings do go to minimise the disruption
It’s not up to me but if where the coach and a player,who clearly commands the dressing room then yea if he felt he could do it again,even for 15/20 games it’s be worth the risk.

Lockers is clearly an almost supernatural presence in the minds of his teams mates and it matters not what you or I think of him but the blokes who play week in and week out with him,you simply can’t replace what he brings to the table.