21-man squad vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad vs Wakefield

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 21-man squad to face Wakefield Trinity in Round 13 of the Betfred Super League.
Three changes as Mitch Clark, Dom Manfredi and Harry Rushton are replaced by Ben Flower, Liam Byrne and Chris Hankinson.

Wigan Warriors vs Wakefield Trinity, Friday 25th September, Halliwell Jones Stadium, K.O. 8:15pm.
Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Wakefield Trinity this Friday at the Halliwell Jones Stadium (K.O. 8:15pm).

The Warriors Head Coach has made three changes to his last 21-man squad, with Ben Flower, Liam Byrne and Chris Hankinson coming in for Mitch Clark, Dom Manfredi and Harry Rushton.

Welsh forward Flower returns after serving a two-match ban received for a Grade B ‘Dangerous Contact’ against Hull KR in Round 11.

Byrne and Hankinson also return to availability for Friday’s encounter with Trinity.

Young second-row Morgan Smithies serves the fourth of a six-match ban received for two separate incidents during Wigan’s win over Castleford in Round 10. Learn more HERE.

Injury news

Winger Dom Manfredi misses out due to a head knock sustained in last weekend’s victory over Hull FC, but is expected to return for next weekend’s Coral Challenge Cup Semi Final with Leeds Rhinos.

Prop-forward Joe Bullock misses out with a hand injury sustained versus Catalans in Round 12. Speaking on Tuesday, the Head Coach provided an updated on the 27-year-old.

“[Bullock] could potentially be next week, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario it’s week to week from there.”

Experienced forward George Burgess also misses out as he continues to fully overcome a hip problem.

Winger Liam Marshall continues his long-term recovery from an Anterior Cruciate Ligament knee injury sustained during the Round 10 tie with Castleford.

Prop Tony Clubb remains sidelined with a long-term neck injury.

Half-back Jake Shorrocks continues his recovery from a hamstring injury.

21-man squad to face Wakefield Trinity

1. Zak Hardaker
3. Chris Hankinson
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Joe Burgess
6. Bevan French
7. Tommy Leuluai
9. Sam Powell
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. Sean O’Loughlin
14. Ben Flower
15. Joe Greenwood
17. Oliver Partington
20. Liam Byrne
23. Jake Bibby
28. Harry Smith
29. Jack Wells
30. Ethan Havard
31. Jackson Hastings
32. Amir Bourouh
33. Joe Shorrocks

Fancy a face mask to match your favourite shirt? Three fantastic designs are now in stock at just £5 each and we’re also donating £1 from each sale of the yellow alternative kit design to our charity partners North West Air Ambulance.

Buy now by clicking HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... wakefield/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: 21-man squad vs Wakefield

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Burgess 1 game in 3 games out pattern continuing
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:31 pm Burgess 1 game in 3 games out pattern continuing
The club have already stated he will not play again until his hip is right. Which makes sense but I question why Lam thinks it will only be a few weeks.

Why wasn't it resolved in the months we were locked down? If he needed physio, why wasn't he kept out until it was better from getting the right treatment?

The whole handling and management of Burgess and his hip screams total incompetence from the club.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not sure about that - didn’t we go through a large part of lockdown looking to reduce the money paid to the squad, and/or we placed them on furlough so they couldn’t (strictly speaking) do anything? While that was going on, what say would we have in what a player does? Plus, I don’t think anyone could get physio at that time. We had to wait ages for Gildart to play again because he had not been able to get rehab physio, which sounds like the case with Burgess.

I don’t mean to defend the player, or the club for signing him if they should have known he was crocked, just I am not sure we can start with “this should have been sorted in lockdown”. Though I may be wrong and you may be right!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:31 pm Burgess 1 game in 3 games out pattern continuing
More like 0.1 games in and 3 games out...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:56 pm I am not sure about that - didn’t we go through a large part of lockdown looking to reduce the money paid to the squad, and/or we placed them on furlough so they couldn’t (strictly speaking) do anything? While that was going on, what say would we have in what a player does? Plus, I don’t think anyone could get physio at that time. We had to wait ages for Gildart to play again because he had not been able to get rehab physio, which sounds like the case with Burgess.

I don’t mean to defend the player, or the club for signing him if they should have known he was crocked, just I am not sure we can start with “this should have been sorted in lockdown”. Though I may be wrong and you may be right!
The furlough aspect is true of course it was up to the player to try and keep fit,but that apart as you point out the hip injury should have been picked up way before he signed
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We all a bit peeved because we know how good he can be....... he seems to have lost the pounds but i do get nathans point as it does seem very odd
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

That’s a bit concerning all those wakey players testing positive... I can see half our team getting it at this rate just playing them! Think they need some working out what their players are up to when not playing or training as they keep getting infections in the camp.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Is this not where youd get the team due not to play to step in?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.