Havard: Having the right attitude

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Havard: Having the right attitude

Post by josie andrews »

Ethan Havard previews Friday’s game against Wakefield Trinity at the Halliwell Jones Stadium (K.O. 8:15pm).

The young prop talks about how the Warriors must be ready for every game, what he expects from Wakefield and his chances in the first team this season.

Havard: “It’s more about us than it is about them, it is about our attitude and if we turn up.”
Ethan Havard says Wigan Warriors must be well prepared for every single game no matter who they are playing.

Adrian Lam’s side take on Wakefield Trinity – the second-bottom placed side in the Betfred Super League – on Friday night at the Halliwell Jones Stadium (K.O. 8:15pm).

Despite the position of their opponents in the table, Havard says the Warriors must be mentally ready to do their own job.

He said: “It’s more about us than it is about them, it is about our attitude and if we turn up. It feels very similar to the Hull KR game, which was a real reality check, and showed us that we have to prepare well for every single game.”

The prop is aware of what Chris Chester’s side are capable of, with Wigan coming away with a narrow 22-23 victory against them in the last meeting between the sides, which was the first game after the restart.

“We’re expecting more of the same from when we came back from lockdown. We have come a long way since then – we are looking better every week. Defensively, we are a lot stronger – fighting for every single point. In attack it has started to click, and we are posting a lot more points on the board, which is good.

“It’ll be a physical challenge, and every game now feels like a must win with the new point percentage rule.”

After signing a contract extension with the Club last week, which will see the 19-year-old stay with Wigan until the end of 2022, with an option for 2023, is positive for the future and is delighted with the number of opportunities he has had this season, with nine appearances so far.

“It gives me a lot of confidence that the Club are backing me. I am very happy to sign as I’ve got a great group of mates and it is where I am happy. I’m learning a lot off my teammates, who do it week in week out, and this is what I want.”

With a short turnaround of games approaching, Havard is eager to feature as much as possible.

“I think it is good to have this amount of opportunities to play, and I want to get as many minutes as I can. We will be using the full squad so some of the other lads will get a chance, which will be good to see.

“ I think it’s brilliant that we have squad depth across our team, as it’s very beneficial and will help us out in a season like this. We have been given really good opportunities and we want to take them.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... rtunities/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan