ISA

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: ISA

Post by fozzieskem »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:24 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:11 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:58 am So he'll keep his place when John Bateman comes back
He was picked regularly when Bateman was here last wasn’t he?
Only because we ran out of centres - Bateman was drafted into centre and apparently wasn't that pleased as he preferred second-row. I'd play Greenwood in front of Isa at the moment.
Not a chance Isa has been Mr Consistent all season long but as ever it’s all about opinions
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Still not worthy of another contract extension when his current deal runs no matter how "nice" fans think he might be

With Bateman and Farrell assured for back row for the future we need to be looking for the next player to make the back row "his" spot. Shorrocks has a head start but there are some impressive junior back rows waiting for their chance
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I certainly think Isa is similar in the Mick Cassidy style of player (nowhere near as consistent or solid) but, when he is on his game, he works extremely hard and goes unnoticed. Does blow hot n cold though for my money.

I agree with other comments sadly, he is not ahead of Faz or Bateman and IMO (when fully fit) Greenwood.

Id keep him for next season but isn't a 1st choice starter with all squad players fit.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Do you know why players like Willie Isa get picked every week? Coaches love ‘em because they know exactly what the’ll get from them week in weeek out. They don’t need much coaching.Reliability is the key.As for Faz ,tremendous player,and they complement each othe different types of player but both essential in a team. You could say the same for Sam Powell too.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I doubt theres a fan at wigan that thought he would do as well as hes done, when we first signed him........ an important part of our team for me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Isa is a typical middle of the road player who looks consistent against the poorer sides but never rarely a great game against a to side. In fact last season I thought be he was pretty woeful when it mattered. Plenty of players like him can make a living in RL in this country.

The best back row we have ever had in recent seasons is the one the played the last time we won the GF. Bateman and Greenwood playing on the correct side of the pitch for each of them was brilliant. Isa doesn’t figure in that in my opinion.

The problem Lam has is we also have Faz and when you start switching him or either of the other two around to fit them in the team none of them look as good. Faz looks lost on the right for example.

I’d play Greenwood and Bateman with Faz on the bench to come on as the opposition tires. Don’t see where Isa fits into that master plan ;)
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 pm Isa is a typical middle of the road player who looks consistent against the poorer sides but never rarely a great game against a to side. In fact last season I thought be he was pretty woeful when it mattered. Plenty of players like him can make a living in RL in this country.

The best back row we have ever had in recent seasons is the one the played the last time we won the GF. Bateman and Greenwood playing on the correct side of the pitch for each of them was brilliant. Isa doesn’t figure in that in my opinion.

The problem Lam has is we also have Faz and when you start switching him or either of the other two around to fit them in the team none of them look as good. Faz looks lost on the right for example.

I’d play Greenwood and Bateman with Faz on the bench to come on as the opposition tires. Don’t see where Isa fits into that master plan ;)
Agree although it will upset some of his followers. He's an honest player but doesn't offer too much consistently at the top level. Rarely makes a crucial break, and struggles to break tackles and put players into gaps. He is a grafter ok but not a reason as some say "every team needs one" to start games.
Only difference to Dave, I'd start Faz and JB with Greenwood off the bench, as defences tire as he is more than handy with his breaks and offloads.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Faz and Batty play the full 80 mins for me they are crucial to our team.