21-man squad vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Pbickerstaff

Re: 21-man squad vs Leeds

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Now it is time to let lam go and bring in a better manager. He was a fill in until Edwards
No game plan
One pass and tackle, nothing to our wings. No game plan throughout.Absolutely friggin awful. Respect to Leeds. They always come up with a plan unlike Wigan.
Not sure where Gildart was but Bibby is awful.
Rather have hankinson than Bibby
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Bye bye Adrian Lam.
Hello Ian Watson, he has to be our next coach, he can make diamonds out of coal.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Ian Watson just showed again what a good coach can achieve. A clearly inferior side on paper plays to a good game plan and beats a team that should have won easily.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Congratulations to Salford! Delighted Wire wont be returning to Wembley! :lol:
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

We really should be giving Leeds some credit. They played the conditions perfectly, superb kicking game and great chase and tackle.
Look how many errors there were in the Salford v Wire game to see how difficult things were.

As for us we soaked a lot of pressure up early on but then dropped the ball on tackle two and gave a couple of soft penalties away. We had no field position whatsoever, completely outplayed physically and tactically. I've mentioned this before but how many times does Hastings get tackled on tackle four taking him out of the play as the kicker on the last tackle? It makes us much easier to defend against.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:53 pm The weather forecast for tomorrow is for heavy rain and strong winds. The kicking game will be vitally important, we really have to close Gale down and not give cheap possession and/or field position away. No needless penalties please!!
As I was saying!!!!!
If I can see it why couldn't they?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:57 pm We really should be giving Leeds some credit. They played the conditions perfectly, superb kicking game and great chase and tackle.
Look how many errors there were in the Salford v Wire game to see how difficult things were.

As for us we soaked a lot of pressure up early on but then dropped the ball on tackle two and gave a couple of soft penalties away. We had no field position whatsoever, completely outplayed physically and tactically. I've mentioned this before but how many times does Hastings get tackled on tackle four taking him out of the play as the kicker on the last tackle? It makes us much easier to defend against.
Well balanced summary, No Straw.

I also thought our strategy of playing Lockers, who is good for 30 minutes, relies on Havard and Partington being able to play 60+ minutes each. Havard off in tough conditions left us with a 2-man bench for three quarters of the match.

We lost because Leeds were better, but this didn't help. I'm signing up with Medlocke's Lockers' fan club.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bertina

Post by bertina »

pearsy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 pm Looks like Lam has been out coached again
Lulus crap kicking game is killing us.
He’s finished. Play Harry Smith.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:57 pm We really should be giving Leeds some credit. They played the conditions perfectly, superb kicking game and great chase and tackle.

I have some sympathy with Lam in terms of our pack, because the two players Radlinski brought in, Burgess and Clark, didn't play and have been awful. So he's basically playing the pack that he already felt wasn't good enough last year. The emergence of Havard has helped us somewhat, but we still have 4 senior players (Burgess - our 'marquee' player, Flower and Clubb our senior props and Clark - supposedly the most devastating forward in Super League) not on the field who will take up a lot of cap space and it's simply not good enough.

Despite that there are question marks over team selection. Joe Shorrocks is effectively playing at prop despite being smaller than most centres. He's been playing Farrell down the middle where he's far less effective. On the left edge for 80 minutes he was consistently one of our best players - a genuine man of steel candidate. Now he plays 60 minutes down the middle and is a workhorse but no threat. That's to accommodate Greenwood who may make decent metres and be difficult to bring down, but we make nothing of his carries and he's nowhere near as good as Farrell, so what's the point?

As for Hastings, I'd say we should be playing him at loose forward where he can make carries to his hearts content and still act as a playmaker, but then we've got Partington, Smithies, Shorrocks and O'Loughlin to fit in somewhere and the first 3 are deserving of a place.

It's frustrating because we're not a bad team. It's just that every time we lose a game Lam says he doesn't know how it happened. That gives me no faith that by the end of the year we'll have put these problems right, because Lam seemingly doesn't see them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The one player that everyone seems to rate except me is Partington. He is simply too small. Leeds based their success on negating our go forward (and making yards after contact from dummy half runs). Partington is too small even to dent a line, for all his hard work, and so the halves and hooker end up with no momentum. It starts up front, and Partington is never going to be big enough to help against a good pack.

Maybe Singleton could bring some more grunt... and Burgess get fit...