Changes Needed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Firestarter »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:26 pm Even if we win against a Warrington side with Wembley on their minds, it won’t prove anything. He has been given a squad good enough to win regular non pressure league games regardless of his coaching. The Saints game will be his last chance to earn a reprieve from the axe (if he lasts that long) - though we may just let his contract end and run down the clock on this year altogether.
care to change your opening statement lol?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:51 pm I'd be amazed if IL sacked him before the end of the season and equally amazed if he did then whatever happens. Lam is a cheap option I am sure and Covid and the weird season we are having as a result will be the excuse to lumber us with him for another season.
As ive said I’m sure he will be here next year to inflict us with his brand of rugby,I just don’t see him being given the boot even though it is in all like hood another trophy less season
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:43 pm Lockers was awful full of errors missed tackles and high tackles / ball stealing on last tackle stupid , been a great player but its over & we need a much better coach before the young players develop bad habits .
We are 2 years off our young forwards developing and need 2 experienced battle hardened props to guide then to the top level. Lam doesn't seem to be able to put together game plans for different conditions & he was shown the door today by Agar.
The onlly knee jerk free post on this thread!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:51 pm I'd be amazed if IL sacked him before the end of the season and equally amazed if he did then whatever happens. Lam is a cheap option I am sure and Covid and the weird season we are having as a result will be the excuse to lumber us with him for another season.
As ive said I’m sure he will be here next year to inflict us with his brand of rugby,I just don’t see him being given the boot even though it is in all like hood another trophy less season
Lam's contract is rolling, we'll see what happens at the end of the season?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We need to learn how to make metres after contact. If we stick with our current tactics, that means wingers who can make metres, but if we shift to put more emphasis on forwards making metres, then we need to build a pack to do it. Either way, we have to make more metres.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 pm We need to learn how to make metres after contact. If we stick with our current tactics, that means wingers who can make metres, but if we shift to put more emphasis on forwards making metres, then we need to build a pack to do it. Either way, we have to make more metres.
Its a long time since ive seen a wigan team have two forwards running onto a ball( one each side of the ruck)...... this would give us options and put doubt into the defensive team........ the hooker then could dictate.......we seem like we have to play to a system no matter what....... ive only seem change when MM took over in the last 10 years ish
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

When your starting props are so young you know that something is going wrong. I just cannot see SOL, Tony Club and Ben Flower suiting the new form of the game. We could easily do with a couple of senior props, at least one half back, a winger and possibly a centre for next season. With the return of JB we are not going to increase the bulk upfront so we really need to think about the role of Joe Shorrocks who is never going to be a strike prop/middle in fact he reminds me of Mark Flanaghan at the same age. Sadly we do not seem capable of making many yards after contact or cfreating a dent in the line.
In the backs Bibby and Hankinson are interchangeable bench warmers and possibly our most potent threat, Smith, is not getting the game time that he needs.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree Joe Shorrocks is no prop, but he has performed well in a position that is not his natural game, and looks well worth his place in the squad. Other teams have props who are both mobile, and make good metres without being lard mountains, why can't we find any?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:26 pm I agree Joe Shorrocks is no prop, but he has performed well in a position that is not his natural game, and looks well worth his place in the squad. Other teams have props who are both mobile, and make good metres without being lard mountains, why can't we find any?
Joe has got good balance, great footwork at the defensive line, he runs good lines in attack, defends well and has a good motor. The problem is that he is not a prop but a back row forward.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 pm It may be a minority view here, but I think Blake Austin is a bloody good player, and he's showing it again the second semi. He's always busy and offers plenty in attack. I for one would have been delighted if he'd come to Wigan. They might not be lovable characters, but I still think Gale is the best English half in the comp (only Lomax as competition really), and Austin the best of all.
His decision making today was poor, he should have won the match for Wire, but I agree he is a good player.