Changes Needed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by EagleEyePie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:46 pm

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 pm
I'm not going into detail about your contradictory statement

but its people like you who would have had Martin Offiah at full back or stand off just because he's quick. Just because someone's strength is pace it doesn't mean they can play in multiple positions no matter how you want to dress it up

btw Clint Gutherson is a fantastic example of why Parra wouldn't play French at full back ahead of him
No. You see I'd play Offiah on the wing because he's a winger. Absolutely nothing about my comment suggested I think a fullback should only be quick. French is a fullback, who can also play wing. I'm not suggesting he might be used at stand off because he's quick, I'm suggesting it because he's got good hands and footwork, has played that position before, albeit only in reserve grade, and was suggested as a possible option in that role when he was signed. I have no idea whether it would work. If it doesn't he should play fullback because he's our best fullback.

Parra wouldn't play French ahead of Gutherson because Gutherson is a better player. French also wasn't good enough to play wing for them. He is, however, good enough to play fullback for us.

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Charriots Offiah » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:42 pm

fozzieskem wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:53 pm
Thank god someone sees the French at fullback thing for what it is a mistake,he barely tackles or defends but what he does have is out and out speed so much speed he could be a winger,who is picking the team French or Lam?

Players play where the coach tells them to not the other way round,Hardaker is wasted as a centre and for me is the best defensive fullback in the comp yet he tries his best while French carry’s on regardless at fullback,one of the shambolic decisions by Lam was to have Bibby trundling on the wing the other week while French faffes about with speed to burn,absolute madness.
You are right, Hardaker is the best defensive fullback in the game but unfortunately he no longer has the pace he once had, the other factor is that he doesn't have great hands either. The club made a big error when they let Sam T leave, he is the best fullback I can remember at Wigan. Added to that, he is a leader and that is something we also lack.

moto748
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by moto748 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 pm

Clint Gutherson is a fantastic full-back; you'd call him world-class, except that there are so many excellent full-backs in the NRL. so there's no shame in losing a spot to him. But for me, French has been fine at full-back for us. He isn't the best defensive full-back in the world, but he's not bad, and offers plenty in attack. Wigan's shortcomings are not primarily in the backs, although Marshall's injury has left a bit of a hole.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Nezza Faz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Dead right Charriots, Hardaker is an out and out full back and never a centre for the reasons you say, whilst our leader Lockers is an expensive luxury getting progressively worse , which is such a pity for him. Surely now he can see that this should be the end and he should go now and preserve his reputation.
But this is just another example of Lam and the tactics he employs, without any planning outside the box and whilst Agar has shown him up, and in fairness, looks to be an improving coach, Lam is going in the opposite direction.

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Firestarter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm

moto748 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 pm
Clint Gutherson is a fantastic full-back; you'd call him world-class, except that there are so many excellent full-backs in the NRL. so there's no shame in losing a spot to him. But for me, French has been fine at full-back for us. He isn't the best defensive full-back in the world, but he's not bad, and offers plenty in attack. Wigan's shortcomings are not primarily in the backs, although Marshall's injury has left a bit of a hole.
gutherson isnt the best defensive fullback either, but, he is classy in his own right...... to call him king is bigging him up too much imo( you know ur nrl like me so you get my meaning)....... like you say there are lots of great fullbacks in the nrl ...... canberras fullback and even tedesco aint great defensively but they are still class...... i just wish french would pin his ears back from time to time....... he reminds me of offiah( when he got lazy).... we are all thinking go go go but he seems like hes saving himself......imo hardaker is the best option in last saturdays conditions but french at fullback every other day of the week for me...... i agree that marshys injury has killed us....... hes improved out of sight this year and we miss him big time....... sometimes great coaches make contraversial decisions that payoff......... examples....... lowe playing hanley at loose and maguire putting sam at fullback....... thats balls and classy coaching
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

moto748
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by moto748 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 am

If you're dissing James Tedesco, you're hard to please! :lol:

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Firestarter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:04 am

moto748 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 am
If you're dissing James Tedesco, you're hard to please! :lol:
I know ,ive grown up watching the best ever,so ive been spoiled as my late dad used to say
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

widdenoldboy
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by widdenoldboy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Firestarter wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm
moto748 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 pm
Clint Gutherson is a fantastic full-back; you'd call him world-class, except that there are so many excellent full-backs in the NRL. so there's no shame in losing a spot to him. But for me, French has been fine at full-back for us. He isn't the best defensive full-back in the world, but he's not bad, and offers plenty in attack. Wigan's shortcomings are not primarily in the backs, although Marshall's injury has left a bit of a hole.
gutherson isnt the best defensive fullback either, but, he is classy in his own right...... to call him king is bigging him up too much imo( you know ur nrl like me so you get my meaning)....... like you say there are lots of great fullbacks in the nrl ...... canberras fullback and even tedesco aint great defensively but they are still class...... i just wish french would pin his ears back from time to time....... he reminds me of offiah( when he got lazy).... we are all thinking go go go but he seems like hes saving himself......imo hardaker is the best option in last saturdays conditions but french at fullback every other day of the week for me...... i agree that marshys injury has killed us....... hes improved out of sight this year and we miss him big time....... sometimes great coaches make contraversial decisions that payoff......... examples....... lowe playing hanley at loose and maguire putting sam at fullback....... thats balls and classy coaching
Great posts these, also wish French would back himself more - thats why is in the team. Hardaker would have been a better bet v Leeds in those conditions but TBH we wouldn't be discussing the backs if the forwards (and forward gameplan) at least matched Leed's on the day. Thought Sam T went to France for a pre-retirement payoff but he has proven to be outstanding and a major loss to us.

Barney841
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Barney841 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Firestarter wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:04 am
moto748 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 am
If you're dissing James Tedesco, you're hard to please! :lol:
I know ,ive grown up watching the best ever,so ive been spoiled as my late dad used to say
Tedesco is world class, he’s the whole package.
Never seems to have a bad game, he’s always a threat

moto748
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Changes Needed

Post by moto748 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Agreed. I really don't know who Firestarter is referring to who's better. Sam Tomkins? Steve Hampson? Both fine players, but better than Tedesco?? He can do things even Billy Slater couldn't do.

Post Reply