Players with covid

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Re: Players with covid

Post by Fujiman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:16 am
EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 pm
Suzieb wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:03 pm can anyone tell me why footballers who test positive are named but in Rugby it is a secret and we have to guess who it is.
The Premier League don't reveal which clubs the players/staff who test positive play for or their identity. Some clubs release the names, some players might confirm it, but there's no reason why they have to and not all do. It doesn't really matter if they reveal the names or not.
Exactly. There is no benefit to the club or player by releasing the name as 0 conclusions can be drawn from it. They could have caught it from touching the garden fence that the postman had touched or from being in a super market or at dinner with 5 other friends.
you really think that?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:18 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 pm Third one now positive. I think, looking at the players omitted from the squad, that we can work out who they are.
Exactly. Don't know why they just don't announce it and stop the speculation/whispers. Hardly a big secret.
Why do they need to announce it though? Why do you need to know?
We don’t unless we have been in contact with them, however given that we don’t know who they are we will never know if we have. It might be helpful from a track and trace perspective 😮
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:38 pm Wingers & centres!
Josie - what’s wrong with Flower, Clark and Byrne?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 pm
Your guess is as good as mine. Just looking at the team we only really have one recognised winger in Manfredi looks like Bevan will be played there!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:43 pm
Your guess is as good as mine. Just looking at the team we only really have one recognised winger in Manfredi looks like Bevan will be played there!
i doubt it coz we only have 2 recognised centres....... hopefully his team picking will pay off...... conditions will play a part which is why i cant understand the lack of props
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Halsall maybe given another chance on the wing - had a decent run against Saints and his defence seemed to stand up well.
Big worry is the props, what's Lam's thinking only picking 3 v the big Wolves pack, and with more rain forecast for Friday. Beginning to get very concerned over his tactics !
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:43 pm
I think that Isa will play centre.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Fujiman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 pm

The Premier League don't reveal which clubs the players/staff who test positive play for or their identity. Some clubs release the names, some players might confirm it, but there's no reason why they have to and not all do. It doesn't really matter if they reveal the names or not.
Exactly. There is no benefit to the club or player by releasing the name as 0 conclusions can be drawn from it. They could have caught it from touching the garden fence that the postman had touched or from being in a super market or at dinner with 5 other friends.
you really think that?
It is possible.

The point I was trying to highlight is that by announcing players names, people will start to speculate and suggest they have been flouting/ignoring rules when the reality is we will never know.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 pm Halsall maybe given another chance on the wing - had a decent run against Saints and his defence seemed to stand up well.
Big worry is the props, what's Lam's thinking only picking 3 v the big Wolves pack, and with more rain forecast for Friday. Beginning to get very concerned over his tactics !
Your guess is as good as mine! Unless the props missing are injured or have Covid, could be a big mis judgment by Lam similar to the Leeds game.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:56 am
Fujiman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm

you really think that?
It is possible.

The point I was trying to highlight is that by announcing players names, people will start to speculate and suggest they have been flouting/ignoring rules when the reality is we will never know.
Why would people do that?