21-man squad vs Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Re: 21-man squad vs Warrington

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Harry Smith was brilliant. Lam should get him on the pitch for more minutes just for his kicking game and that pass for Faz was great.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Smith has the class to both put the opposition under pressure and also open up their defence, as he proved tonight. Needs to have longer game time.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I love rugby! All the talk before the game is about coaching, tactics, team selection and so on. But as soon as the whistle blows it's blood and guts.

Sheer determination not to be beaten by every one of um. Sure no shortage of skill, or mistakes, but who cares about a dropped ball or missed tackle when we show that level of bloody-minded will to win?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Macward

Post by Macward »

Looked a different team when Smith came on. He managed the game really well when he game on and his kicking is much better.not sure why we kept running it on the 5th instead of trying to get a repeat set and putting more pressure on. Thought hardaker was man if the match, he had a great game. I'd just like to see them pass the ball more. We looked dangerous everyone we passed to the right edge, just didn't do it enough. I also think it would not hurt to try and off load the ball more, not expecting 34 like the wire but we need to be doing more than four. Think of all the energy that tackling three different players in one play takes out if you. Great result today though especially with a number of players out of position.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wire were out on there feet last 20....... also if anybody wants to know why we dont miss gels watch his defensive resds and positioning sll the game....... its shockong at times and why he only lasted 2 games im the nrl........ big shout for singleton who, for me, looked like a breath of fresh air at prop.......good win but a few players need to have a really good look at themselves...... if we had lost that game we would have been crucified off the fsns coz in reality we was pretty bad....... albeit lucky
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think tonight showed that if we're going with a lightweight pack we have to be willing to get the ball wide. That type of attacking play has won us games against big packs this year, where we've been dominated down the middle but soaked up the pressure and hit them with a quick passing move.

Last week we must have thought that the conditions made it impossible to do that and it was the worst thing we could do as we struggled for territory. We did the same thing in the first half tonight and played it too conservative. The difference between Leeds and Wire is that Leeds kept the ball in hand and kept grinding us down. Wire made poor decisions with ball in hand and didn't take their chances. It meant we still had some energy later in the game.

I think Isa playing centre indirectly won us the game. If we had our full strength outside backs to pick from I don't see any reason why Lam wouldn't have had Isa in the back row and moved Farrell into the middle to accommodate Greenwood like he usually does. Since Isa was at centre Greenwood played the right edge and we got Farrell on the left for the whole game - which is where he should always play and we saw a perfect example why. The longer the game went on the more dangerous Farrell became. It's always the case with him. He gets so many tries late on in games because he's still got so much left in the tank. it's pointless to waste him down the middle as it removes that threat. Hopefully Lam sees the importance of that.

It was a hard working performance. It's frustrating that we seem to have to work harder to get wins and frequently seem to be battling against teams that have superior territory. It didn't do much to ease my worries about how we'd cope in another game in poor conditions but at present we just had to keep winning. Whatever the plan was for tonight it worked. Just.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:....and control their offloading game,
We certainly didn’t do that. They had 34 offloads we had 4.

In fact I think we were only top in one statistic, the one that matters ,the final score! :)
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

With so many young and lightweight players in our pack I can't understand why our line speed in defence is not much better. We deployed that tactic against Hull and stifled them. It would help to reduce the offloads that Wire produced.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm Am i the only one that thinks austin shudda been sent off???? He tried to unscrew xaks head off......and the other one on zaks head didnt look good by hughes....... makes me laugh how the commentators are more bothered about the knock on and then classic brian carney( the new eddie)..... mentions partington first thing after half time....... we are very poor again but omg how these idiots watch a different game to me
100% on that, they seemed more interested that Zak knocked on. Also thought they did the same to Bullock on the 5th tackle just by their line. Thought Kendall had the makings of a good referee but he has joined the anti-Wigan club.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

The defence won us the game. Everybody out their bodies in the line, should do that every week!