Forward Play / Speed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Forward Play / Speed

Post by nathan_rugby »

Watching the Canberra and Roosters game and I just don't understand why Lam / Wigan insist on our forwards catching the ball stood still, 5-10m the play of the ball. It is so ineffective.

Watching their forwards they hit the ball at speed, always on the gain line. It is so simple and so effective.

I just cannot understand why we don't try it a bit more?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Re: Forward Play / Speed

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 am Watching the Canberra and Roosters game and I just don't understand why Lam / Wigan insist on our forwards catching the ball stood still, 5-10m the play of the ball. It is so ineffective.

Watching their forwards they hit the ball at speed, always on the gain line. It is so simple and so effective.

i agree and most of them step to avoid first contact and gain extra yards..... ben flower used to be very good at doing that
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 am Watching the Canberra and Roosters game and I just don't understand why Lam / Wigan insist on our forwards catching the ball stood still, 5-10m the play of the ball. It is so ineffective.

i agree and most of them step to avoid first contact and gain extra yards..... ben flower used to be very good at doing that
He did yes, I agree.

It is so simple:

- Hit the ball at speed
- Hit the ball on the gain line
- Hooker to step out slightly to draw the first marker
- Use footwork to hit the gap rather than directly into a player
- Run in pairs as it holds off defenders as they anticipate the tip on

The same also applies when shipping it wide with 2-3 passes. You need optional runners, deep lines, not catching stood still.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan have t got the players with the sort of skill involved it’s that simple.

The Roosters Canberra game is on a different level and then some to any team in the “super league”
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

You've got to build momentum with the first couple of carries in a set first. The winger are crucial these days for that. I think we're missing marshall an awful lot. If the two wingers make positive yards and generate a quick play the ball then the forwards have a lot easier Job on tackle 3 and 4.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:37 am

It is so simple:

- Hit the ball at speed
- Hit the ball on the gain line
- Hooker to step out slightly to draw the first marker
- Use footwork to hit the gap rather than directly into a player
- Run in pairs as it holds off defenders as they anticipate the tip on

The same also applies when shipping it wide with 2-3 passes. You need optional runners, deep lines, not catching stood still.
It is simple but it does also need coaching and a bit of teamwork to organise even this. The team looks like strangers at times and so we end up with one man RL.

I think fitness may also be an issue. It's much easier to let someone else do it than put the effort in to be in position as one of the runners.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think we're likely the fittest team in the league. The way we play demands it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:40 am I think we're likely the fittest team in the league. The way we play demands it.
I disagree, Salford are the fittest team in the league.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Rugby League is not rocket science. Forwards should gain yards and get good field position, then the backs should create the plays to make the tries. If we have to keep shifting the ball wide to gain territory then we will have to wait a long time to lift a trophy.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wigan’s fitness in doubt.Ask the Warrington players.