Forward Play / Speed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Forward Play / Speed

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:20 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:43 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:18 pm If Lockers (a workmanlike performance) had missed as many important tackles as Smithies last night he would have been lambasted from every side.
smithies missed 8 tackles, Farrell missed 18, Powell and Partington missed 10
18. Is that some kind of joke? Surely not. How is that possible.
8 out of how many, 18 out of how many etc.

Does Clarke running around the marker and being touched by a hand count as a missed tackle etc etc
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:18 pm If Lockers (a workmanlike performance) had missed as many important tackles as Smithies last night he would have been lambasted from every side.
That's 46 missed tackles by just 4 players :shock:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:20 pm

18. Is that some kind of joke? Surely not. How is that possible.
8 out of how many, 18 out of how many etc.

Does Clarke running around the marker and being touched by a hand count as a missed tackle etc etc
I suppose the definition of a "tackle" needs defining. Has it been changed for statistical purposes?

I do wonder with the sheer amount of warrington's successful offloads, did those count as "missed" tackles or somehow "incomplete" tackles as those missed tackle stats do look very high

BTW I did notice Morgan was a little "off" with his defense more than most. Maybe it was the ban but he needs to improve on some of his efforts if he wants to remain in the squad
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

According to the stats on the SL website, Farrell missed 3 tackles. The 18 is marker tackles, not missed tackles. Likewise Powell missed 2, Partington and Smithies both missed 4.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/match-centre/report/3374

What I'm not clear about is whether 'marker tackles' are included in the 'tackles' figure or are additional to it. Does anyone know?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:33 pm According to the stats on the SL website, Farrell missed 3 tackles. The 18 is marker tackles, not missed tackles. Likewise Powell missed 2, Partington and Smithies both missed 4.

What I'm not clear about is whether 'marker tackles' are included in the 'tackles' figure or are additional to it. Does anyone know?
sounds right that moto, he had a stormer but zak was easily mom imo...... massive win considering how much we was under the pump for 60 mins
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Cracking result and I agree with you, Zak was MOM for me also
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Agreed. His best match for us.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:33 pm According to the stats on the SL website, Farrell missed 3 tackles. The 18 is marker tackles, not missed tackles. Likewise Powell missed 2, Partington and Smithies both missed 4.

Yes Moto - marker tackles are included in the total under Tackles.

The confusion above came from misinterpreting
MT = Marker Tackles
MI = Missed Tackles

It's worth looking at the Stats Key at the bottom of the page!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I think John Monie said he ignored stats on missed tackles. He cited Martin Offiah chasing 60 or 70 yards across to the opposite wing to try to stop a break, not quite succeeding, and getting a "missed tackle" on his stats for his efforts.

Equally, when we played Leeds in the league in August, I noticed Hardaker bounced off Hurrell quite a few times, but slowed him down enough for someone else to finish him off. Zak's stats for that game show 6 missed tackles for an heroic and crucial effort.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Oh, of course the bare figures don't tell the whole story, but they are still useful. I imagine for coaches these days, it's all about the GPS.