I’ve improved at Wigan, says Jackson Hastings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

I’ve improved at Wigan, says Jackson Hastings

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings believes he is a better player now than when he won the Man of Steel award last year.

The Australian, who is off-contract with Wigan at the end of the season, played a key role as the Warriors picked up an impressive and important victory over top four rivals Warrington on Friday night.

The halfback laid on a brilliant try for Zak Hardaker, which was his 15th assist of the season.

Only Jonny Lomax and Aidan Sezer have created more tries in Super League this year and Hastings has made more carries than anyone else in the competition, which is a distinction he also held in 2019 at Salford.

However, his involvements have been less documented since his move to the Warriors, given that he is sharing the spotlight with the likes of Bevan French, Thomas Leuluai and Sam Powell.

That has resulted in some criticism of his displays. But Hastings believes he is producing better levels of performance than those that saw him crowned as the competition’s best player last season.

“I’m going for quality over quantity,” Hastings told League Express.

“I’m trying to manipulate defences, wrapping around late, picking short sides, trying to give defences what they don’t want.

“Last year I think I was guilty of going for the knockout blow in every play and trying to be involved in every single tackle, whereas this year I’m blessed to be playing around some incredible players. You’ve got Bevan French and Tommy Leuluai, then some great ball-playing forwards. Joe Shorrocks has really come on in that role, as has Morgan Smithies and you’ve obviously got Sean O’Loughlin. Those guys are decoys and open up plays for me to pick the right time to strike.

“People are obsessed with highlight reels, but the goal is to play on the last day of the year. If that means me having a more subtle role in the side, that’s absolutely fine by me.”

Hastings is confident that with Wigan he’ll be able to do that for a second year running.

“It’s not going to go your way all the time, so you either roll your sleeves up or you crumble. The Wigan way is to roll your sleeves up, which is what this club has done for a long time and it’s what we did against Warrington. We had guys playing out of their backsides and struggling to breathe. But you either bend over and say it’s too hard or you find a way.

“We’ve been down in a lot of games, but clawed it back and stayed in the fight, which is big for us.”

https://www.totalrl.com/ive-improved-at ... -hastings/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: I’ve improved at Wigan, says Jackson Hastings

Post by fozzieskem »

I honestly think he’s been doing a fine job,not showy but a good job nonetheless
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

He did have a tendency to go missing in matches, particularly after half-time but recently he's been involved throughout the match. Against Warrington, he ran the the match in the second half.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I knew what he could do in regards to running matches and everything in attack. What he has really impressed me on has been his physicality in both defence and attack.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We need to stop putting him in at dummy half.
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:39 pm We need to stop putting him in at dummy half.
Me and my dad where talking about this during the Warrington Game, my dad suggested that maybe that Lam see's that as his best position as he likes running with the ball and getting tackled so utilizes his game more?
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the issue with hastings is he is playing

6/7/9/13 too often all at once because of othe players offering very little in play making

When lockers and/or smith is on we get a bit more variation but tommy offers very little creativity as does Powell and no one else offers it from 13 like lockers does.

Assuming it’s not simply tactical it looks like the issue is carrying Tommy means we have to have a halfback on the bench so Powell has to limit his efforts as he has to play 80mins

I’ve no problem with hastings I think he’s doing a fine job I think we would see more of the “Salford” hastings with better players in the spine he looks loads better when smith is on for example
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 pm I think the issue with hastings is he is playing

6/7/9/13 too often all at once because of othe players offering very little in play making

When lockers and/or smith is on we get a bit more variation but tommy offers very little creativity as does Powell and no one else offers it from 13 like lockers does.

Assuming it’s not simply tactical it looks like the issue is carrying Tommy means we have to have a halfback on the bench so Powell has to limit his efforts as he has to play 80mins

I’ve no problem with hastings I think he’s doing a fine job I think we would see more of the “Salford” hastings with better players in the spine he looks loads better when smith is on for example
So he looks better when he's playing hooker? When smith is on he moves to hooker for the last month or so.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I thought that had only been the last couple of games? I meant when he plays at half and smith at other half
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure