21-man squad vs Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad vs Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 21-man squad to face Catalans Dragons.

Two changes as Tony Clubb and Ben Flower replace Harry Rushton and James McDonnell.

Wigan Warriors vs Catalans Dragons, Thursday 15th October, Halliwell Jones Stadium, K.O. 5:30pm.

Head Coach Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Catalans Dragons in Round 16 of the Betfred Super League.

The two sides will do battle on neutral ground at Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium on Thursday evening (K.O. 5:30pm).

Ahead of the game, The Wigan Head Coach has made two changes to the 21 that faced Warrington last week.

Prop-forward Tony Clubb returns for selection for the first time since the start of March, having been sidelined with a neck injury.

Experienced forward Ben Flower also returns, while youngsters James McDonnell and Harry Rushton miss out.

Injury news

Prop George Burgess again misses out as he recovers from an ongoing hip injury.

Youngster Ethan Havard misses out with an ankle injury. Earlier this week Lam gave more details on the severity of the forward’s ankle issue.

“We’ve got to clarify the extent of the injury. He’s got a high ankle sprain, so we need to find out to what level that could be. It’s between 6-12 weeks as we understand it now.”

Back-rower Jack Wells remains sidelined following a MCL tear and knee dislocation suffered against St Helens in Round 14.

Winger Liam Marshall continues his long-term recovery from an Anterior Cruciate Ligament knee injury sustained during the Round 10 tie with Castleford.

21-man squad to face Catalans Dragons

1. Zak Hardaker
6. Bevan French
7. Tommy Leuluai
8. Tony Clubb
9. Sam Powell
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. Sean O’Loughlin
14. Ben Flower
15. Joe Greenwood
16. Morgan Smithies
17. Oliver Partington
19. Joe Bullock
21. Dom Manfredi
23. Jake Bibby
28. Harry Smith
31. Jackson Hastings
32. Amir Bourouh
33. Joe Shorrocks
35. Sam Halsall
38. Brad Singleton

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/10/ ... atalans-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: 21-man squad vs Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Don’t bloody believe he’s selected Clubby in that side when he’s not played a game for seven months!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:09 pm Don’t bloody believe he’s selected Clubby in that side when he’s not played a game for seven months!
Straight back in for me.
Charriots Offiah

I am a tad confused, Lam says that Flower is a week or two away from returning from injury but he is named in the 21!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think Lam said that G Burgess was a couple of weeks away, rather than Flower. I can’t think of anyone who should drop out of the squad for Clubb. It is so long since he has done anything of note for us (2017?) that it seems odd even to see his name in the list.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I thought gilly would have been back inthe squad and maybe even hanky in the 19
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Defo a game for our big middles to be out, shame Burgess hasn’t made it but Cats have a big pack so good to see a few returning!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:09 pm Don’t bloody believe he’s selected Clubby in that side when he’s not played a game for seven months!

Well has to have his first game back in months at some point, unless you are arguing he should never play for Wigan again (a not unreasonable position :lol: ).

Presumably he'll come in for Shorrocks, who I think has performed very creditably, even though he isn't really a prop. In fact if that does happen, I dare bet he won't make as many tackles as Shorrocks has been doing!
Charriots Offiah

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm I think Lam said that G Burgess was a couple of weeks away, rather than Flower. I can’t think of anyone who should drop out of the squad for Clubb. It is so long since he has done anything of note for us (2017?) that it seems odd even to see his name in the list.
I thought that I had read somewhere that I had read that Burgess and Flower were still one or two weeks away from fitness, thanks for correcting me.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Clubb is like lockers 10-15 minute wonder in a game.
Not good enough. Need players who can play more minutes.
Not fair on the rest of the team