21-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad vs Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devil’s

Three changes as Oliver Gildart returns alongside Joe and George Burgess.

Wigan Warriors vs Salford Red Devils, Friday 23rd October, Totally Wicked Stadium, K.O. 5:30pm.

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils this Friday in Round 17 of the Betfred Super League.

After last weekend’s bout with Catalans was postponed due to positive COVID-19 tests in the Warriors camp, Lam’s men return to action this weekend, taking on Coral Challenge Cup Final losers Salford after Wigan posted two rounds of all negative tests. (Learn more HERE).

Ian Watson’s side came away victorious last time the two faced off back in March at the AJ Bell Stadium, narrowly pipping the Cherry and Whites 18-14 in what became both club’s final fixture before the national lockdown.

The Wigan Head Coach has made three changes to the 21 that was named to face Catalans (before the postponement), with Oliver Gildart returning alongside Joe and George Burgess.

Youngsters Amir Bourouh and Sam Halsall, along with captain Sean O’Loughlin miss out.

After returning for selection last week, prop-forward Tony Clubb is again available and looking to make his return to action this weekend. The experienced forward has not featured since early March, spending time on the sidelines recovering from a neck injury.

Injury news

Youngster Ethan Havard continues to recover from an ankle injury first sustained against Leeds Rhinos in Wigan’s Coral Challenge Cup Semi Final defeat.

Back-rower Jack Wells remains sidelined following a MCL tear and knee dislocation suffered against St Helens in Round 14.

Winger Liam Marshall continues his long-term recovery from an Anterior Cruciate Ligament knee injury sustained during the Round 10 tie with Castleford.

21-man squad to face Salford Red Devils

1 Zak Hardaker
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Joe Burgess
6. Bevan French
7. Tommy Leuluai
8. Tony Clubb
9. Sam Powell
10. George Burgess
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
14. Ben Flower
15. Joe Greenwood
16. Morgan Smithies
17. Oliver Partington
19. Joe Bullock
21. Dom Manfredi
23. Jake Bibby
28. Harry Smith
31. Jackson Hastings
33. Joe Shorrocks
38. Brad Singleton

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/10/ ... s-salford/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jackthelad

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by jackthelad »

Getting beyond a joke this squad malarkey how on earth Hankinson is not getting selected is an absolute disgrace

Before others on here start saying who should he replace etc... Bibby has been bloody awful in his recent performances and should be rested Hank should be in before him imo
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Re Bibby,

He might not play, I am guessing the Lam will go with something looking like this.

French
Budgie, Hardaker, Gildart, Manfredi
Leuleai, Hastings
Bullock, Powell, Ben Flower
Isa, Farrell
Smithies

Subs
Brad Singleton, Oli P, Harry Smith, Joe Greenwood

Although to be honest I am not sure with the Props / Greenwood so could be a change there - But still think Bibby to miss out unless he's in the Subs as cover somewhere?
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:23 pm Getting beyond a joke this squad malarkey how on earth Hankinson is not getting selected is an absolute disgrace

Before others on here start saying who should he replace etc... Bibby has been bloody awful in his recent performances and should be rested Hank should be in before him imo
Missed the boat.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Saw on Wigan Warriors Instagram that Tony Clubb is training with strapping on his forearm! He has only just come back from injury and is getting strapped up already!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 pm Saw on Wigan Warriors Instagram that Tony Clubb is training with strapping on his forearm! He has only just come back from injury and is getting strapped up already!
Protection
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Is SOL being saved for the Grand Final not worth the money any more
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I don’t get people’s hard on about hankinson.
Yeah you can say there’s not much difference between him and bibby but with Zak and gilly fit does he get ahead of them, no.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Lam has to think about the Saints match next week. I'd guess that's why Lockers is rested (if there's not some other reason).

So he may want to give Clubb and G Burgess a run so they're ready for Saints. But to include both of them risks the game v Salford. Personally I'd have only one of Clubb and Burgess in the 17, whoever he thinks can last more than 10 minutes.

Not being in the know about their injuries, I'd go by recent history and plump for Clubb as GB has only managed about 10 minutes in total iirc.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm Lam has to think about the Saints match next week. I'd guess that's why Lockers is rested (if there's not some other reason).

So he may want to give Clubb and G Burgess a run so they're ready for Saints. But to include both of them risks the game v Salford. Personally I'd have only one of Clubb and Burgess in the 17, whoever he thinks can last more than 10 minutes.

Not being in the know about their injuries, I'd go by recent history and plump for Clubb as GB has only managed about 10 minutes in total iirc.
Neither deserve to play against Saints Morley based on form however I can understand the need for the whole squad to get minutes under their belt, especially the forwards.