Starting props

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Starting props

Post by nathan_rugby »

Have we found our fair in Singleton and Bullock?

Those two along with Powell were one of the main reasons we got off to a great start.

Bullock had 3 drives in the first minute!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Re: Starting props

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 am Have we found our fair in Singleton and Bullock?

Those two along with Powell were one of the main reasons we got off to a great start.

Bullock had 3 drives in the first minute!
I agree, much more go forward
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Agree...along with Flower, hardly gets a mention but always puts in a hard shift especially last night, I saw a lot of runs from deep crashing onto the ball from the forwards toodrop Clubb, he did nowt on his return, a shame but think time has come for him. Smithies....I don’t know what it is but I don’t/rate him, I don’t see anything that excites me about him.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Huge fan of Partington myself. I've never really seen Benny half-hearted at all, lets hope he gets a decent crack somewhere in 2021.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Singleton has been brilliant in his first 2 games, really runs it well, shows loads of aggression and works hard in defence especially as third man in.

As for Bullock, he seems to relish playing with him and almost seems to want to out do him. His running has really come on.

The big test is next week agains Saints, but they have both been brilliant starters.

Must also give a mention to Partington who’s work rate is phenomenal.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd certainly settle for a starting 8,10 and 13 of Singleton, Bullock and Partington. Plus Flower, Havard, Greenwood and Smithies, or 3 of them, on the bench.

We must balance driving the ball up the middle against defence and stamina/minutes. When we've played our young middles all together we've tended to be relatively poor at driving up but solid on defence and effort. We shouldn't be tempted to go to the other extreme, but find the right balance, which will vary depending on opponents.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think that players like Partington and Flower are largely pointless. They never dent or break the line. As long as they are cheap, and they do try hard on the whole, then I don’t mind them being in the squad, but for a Wembley or OT win I would go with Bullock, Singleton, Havard and (a fit) Burgess. At least we now potentially have 4 good props having taken a knife to gun fights for years.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think Partington and Flower are fine in the modern 13/ middle/ third prop role. Although Havard can more than fill the role in years to come I would play Partington in that rotation. Oli for me is more than just a yard maker he's a decent enough ball player and worked out how to make enough yards by taking the ball pretty flat which his hands allow him to. Hes also got natural aggression. Singleton Oli P Powell Bateman Smithies next year gives us plenty in the will to win.
I would look at Havard, Oli P, Singleton, Bull and Byrne. To replace Lockers Clubb Flower and maybe Burgess if he can not get fit?
With all here at the moment but with improved contracts going forward and so eating into the cap I still think we could add one more prop and a good one. While a GWH would be great a Tolman type signing would be fine and complement the young lads.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smithy82

Post by Smithy82 »

Bullock & Singleton Starting

Partington & Byrne on Bench
pedro

Post by pedro »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:25 pm I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think that players like Partington and Flower are largely pointless. They never dent or break the line. As long as they are cheap, and they do try hard on the whole, then I don’t mind them being in the squad, but for a Wembley or OT win I would go with Bullock, Singleton, Havard and (a fit) Burgess. At least we now potentially have 4 good props having taken a knife to gun fights for years.
but use up opposition energy