Hastings to stay at Wigan despite interest from NRL and one other Super League club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hastings to stay at Wigan despite interest from NRL and one other Super League club

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings looks set to stay at Wigan for the 2021 season.

There has been much uncertainty over the future of the reigning Man of Steel who has ambitions of returning to the NRL in the future.

Hastings was included on the RFL’s off-contract list earlier this week despite signing a two-year deal at the Warriors ahead of this season.

Reports in Australia suggest a number of clubs are interested in giving the 24-year-old playmaker another crack at the NRL, with fellow Super League side Hull FC also a surprise suitor.

However, Hastings’ manager Sam Ayoub revealed to the Australian Daily Telegraph that the former Rooster is loving life at Wigan and will likely stay at the DW Stadium for another 12 months.

“Jacko is really enjoying his footy and time over there and it’s showing in the footy he is delivering,” Ayoub told The Daily Telegraph.

You don’t win the Man of Steel by such a large margin last year if you’re not ‘braining it’.

“And no doubt he will be right up there again this year. His stats are off the charts.

“I think, at this stage, he is keen to have another year over there and that’s what I have said to clubs who have come to us. We will play it by ear – there is certainly no rush.”

Hastings signed for Wigan after a superb 18 months at Salford, leading the Red Devils to the Super League Grand Final against all the odds.

He has shown excellent consistency at the Warriors, taking his skill level and game management to the next level.

It’s a far cry from the individual who was released by Many Sea Eagles for off-the-field issues midway through 2018.

Having now matured and approaching his mid 20s, there is a belief Hastings must return to the NRL at the earliest possible opportunity.

But Ayoub doesn’t see it that way and says his client won’t rush into any big decisions at this stage.

“There is still a lot of potential activity to happen here. He is weighing things up,” Ayoub added.

“I’ve got all the time in the world for ‘Jacko’. I just want what is best for him.

“I think he may stay for at least another year. People forget he only turned 24 this year.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hastings ... lub-34578/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big stick

Re: Hastings to stay at Wigan despite interest from NRL and one other Super League club

Post by Big stick »

Fingers crossed there is some truth to this. I think a few fans have give him stick for not being like he was at Salford. However I can’t think of a game that he hasn’t give us his all.
Caboosegg

Re: Hastings to stay at Wigan despite interest from NRL and one other Super League club

Post by Caboosegg »

Agents really are scum

“I think, at this stage, he is keen to have another year over there and that’s what I have said to clubs who have come to us. We will play it by ear – there is certainly no rush.”

Now i have no illusion that he could walk into any SL team but trying to play the NRL off for better deals ... they have plenty of other talent.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I always got the feeling from Hastings if he is at a club that the fans love him and he is winning trophies he would stay a while. I know the NRL is looming but i dont think he would join a bottom end team in the NRL if he is winning trophies here. I think if you gave him the option of becoming a bonified legend of superleague against an also ran in the NRL he'd pick to stay in Superleague

He could write himself into Superleague history - could he do the same in the NRL? probably not just down to the sheer talent pool there
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Hopefully Wigan fans can stop creating rumours about his departure and creating problems where there aren't any.

He is a cracking player, he has done really well at Wigan so far and it would be great if we could get confirmation of him staying for next year. Let's just not then turn the attention to his potential departure for the year after.

When you sign overseas players, especially young ones and especially ones with a lot of talent, there is always the risk they aren't going to stay very long. Its the risk vs reward scenario. We were lucky to have players like Richards, Carmont etc stay for such a long time.

As long as Hastings gives his all, doesn't hold the club ransom over contracts, departures etc, he is free to do as he pleases. Although it feels like we are always in this situation whether its our best young players going to Australia or players like French and Hastings potentially going back to Australia, it is unrealistic for us to expect every signing to stay for 10 years.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 am Hopefully Wigan fans can stop creating rumours about his departure and creating problems where there aren't any.

He is a cracking player, he has done really well at Wigan so far and it would be great if we could get confirmation of him staying for next year. Let's just not then turn the attention to his potential departure for the year after.

When you sign overseas players, especially young ones and especially ones with a lot of talent, there is always the risk they aren't going to stay very long. Its the risk vs reward scenario. We were lucky to have players like Richards, Carmont etc stay for such a long time.

As long as Hastings gives his all, doesn't hold the club ransom over contracts, departures etc, he is free to do as he pleases. Although it feels like we are always in this situation whether its our best young players going to Australia or players like French and Hastings potentially going back to Australia, it is unrealistic for us to expect every signing to stay for 10 years.
Spot on, Nathan.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

That’s great news for the club, top player Jacko.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Hope it's true and why don't we as wigan fans welcome him and enjoy him as long as he stays with us instead of looking for things that sometimes don't exist
Rennox89

Jackson Hastings

Post by Rennox89 »

I'm hearing his agent says hes enjoying his time at Wigan and will stay next season?
Smithy82

Re: Jackson Hastings

Post by Smithy82 »

Rumors over then Hastings is staying

So jai field will replace Leuluai probs

And French will stay aswelp cause his agent as said he is loving being at wigan