Sky Commentary AGAIN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Sky Commentary AGAIN

Post by Mike »

moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:21 pm I'd have Connor in my team in front of Widdop any day of the week.

I noticed Phil Clarke will be eating his hat if Cats beat Saints. "The biggest upset in Superleague since..."

Please, rugby league gods, make it happen! :lol:
Could he be giving Cats extra mental motivation to beat Stains by writing them off? I think he could. Being told you have no chance often inspires good efforts.

I look forward to next weeks complaints about various phrases used on Sky, mentions of the opposiitons strengths or injuries and the ex Wigan players that everyone has a problem with with great relish. Could someone criticise their hair perhaps? that would be great! After all, what counts at the end of the day is what the commentary team said, how they said it and what they were wearing at the time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jaws1 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:22 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:50 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Didn't he leave to win trophies with his hometown club? :lol:
If I remember rightly, it was a quite a controversial parting of the ways, with Wigan reluctantly agreeing to release him early from his contract ?
Did he not want a release because of the travelling from Hull to Wigan and Wigan would not release him so he went on 12 month loan to Salford after which he went to Hull.
That’s his fault. When you move to a club you either move closer or put up with the driving distance. He knew all of that upfront so no sympathy.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought Taylor wanted to leave because his family (Wife, I think) didn't want to 'uproot' all the way to Wigan. I remember him not being able to stop grinning at Wembley when we won the cup and he looked to have everything in front of him. Now, he's just another big forward, I'm afraid.
Noticeable that Connor and Sneyd don't seem to be able to turn it on when they're up against big opposition or under pressure - strange that!

I listened into Sky when Joe & Bilko were having some comms problems before the match started and assumed that Wigan hadn't turned up as all the talk was about Watson and Huddersfield and just how impressive Hull were. Sky really are going to have to take a look at themselves at the end of the season and consider how they go forward.
The highlight (?) was when Brian Carney said in a casual aside that "Saints were the best team this season but Wigan had won the League Leaders' Shield." I'd play that clip to the Wigan dressing-room before the Final next week. It's all the motivation we will need.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Coote scored after receiving the ball from 2 metres out, A one legged man could of scored that try, All of a sudden all you heard was how Coote was the bestest Fullback in Super League, He sure didn't look the bestest :lol:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:22 am
I look forward to next weeks complaints about various phrases used on Sky, mentions of the opposiitons strengths or injuries and the ex Wigan players that everyone has a problem with with great relish. Could someone criticise their hair perhaps? that would be great! After all, what counts at the end of the day is what the commentary team said, how they said it and what they were wearing at the time.
Obviously it doesn't bother you, but clearly many posters (myself included) disagree. During the Saints game, how many times did they say, if Saints just win this match, they will take the LLS? And how many times did they say that if Wigan won, they would take the LLS? Precisely none, as I recall.

Obviously, another option is to turn the volume down...
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:22 am
moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:21 pm I'd have Connor in my team in front of Widdop any day of the week.

I noticed Phil Clarke will be eating his hat if Cats beat Saints. "The biggest upset in Superleague since..."

Please, rugby league gods, make it happen! :lol:
Could he be giving Cats extra mental motivation to beat Stains by writing them off? I think he could. Being told you have no chance often inspires good efforts.

Just watch tonight, the Marx brothers will be going on about Saints missing Percival. Saints are fortunate that they have every other squad player available and , from memory, they have been unaffected by Covid.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

lol:
I wouldn't have either, Widdop looks a spent force.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Problem is the commentators. I mean how many do they need, BBC years ago had 1 commentator and a colour commentator who would chime in every now and again. Now its a team of 4-6 minimum for every game. None of them have any coaching experience same with football all commentators are failed coaches or did not have the bottle for the job.

The main issue is they are not good enough but jobs are given to ex pro's now who have no idea how to get it over. There will be pressure on such a large contingent of ex Wigan players to be anti Wigan due to history with the club.

Best commentators i ever listened to were John Madden and Pat Summerall. Madden had a very good coaching career so knew how to get the game over to the public and Summerall commentary went well with him. Problem we have apart from John Wells the rest have no idea of how to get it over. If i was sky save a few bucks get rid of all apart from Arthur, Clarke and Wells. Use them no need for experts for this that and the other. Experts no less than most of us.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am I thought Taylor wanted to leave because his family (Wife, I think) didn't want to 'uproot' all the way to Wigan. I remember him not being able to stop grinning at Wembley when we won the cup and he looked to have everything in front of him. Now, he's just another big forward, I'm afraid.
Noticeable that Connor and Sneyd don't seem to be able to turn it on when they're up against big opposition or under pressure - strange that!

I listened into Sky when Joe & Bilko were having some comms problems before the match started and assumed that Wigan hadn't turned up as all the talk was about Watson and Huddersfield and just how impressive Hull were. Sky really are going to have to take a look at themselves at the end of the season and consider how they go forward.
The highlight (?) was when Brian Carney said in a casual aside that "Saints were the best team this season but Wigan had won the League Leaders' Shield." I'd play that clip to the Wigan dressing-room before the Final next week. It's all the motivation we will need.
She wasn’t happy living down here & wanted to go back to Hull IIRC

A bit similar to Trent Barrett’s missus she wanted to g home too! 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:49 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am I thought Taylor wanted to leave because his family (Wife, I think) didn't want to 'uproot' all the way to Wigan. I remember him not being able to stop grinning at Wembley when we won the cup and he looked to have everything in front of him. Now, he's just another big forward, I'm afraid.

She wasn’t happy living down here & wanted to go back to Hull IIRC

A bit similar to Trent Barrett’s missus she wanted to g home too! 😂
Wasn't that down to David Furner :?: or have I got the wrong end of the stick