The unloved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: The unloved

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Lam tops my list by miles, though in my defence the stats in all the previous Saints games and semis were horrible. Now he knows and they know what is required, he can hopefully kick on.

My problem with the team itself has been how ineffective our props are post contact, and so I don’t see the point of Clubb, Flower or Partington. However, Powell’s all round game allows us to play a tiny tot as an extra tackler at 13, so that mitigates that, plus Bullock and Singleton are so good as proper props, that when Isa, Farrell and Greenwood dent the line we can make do with zero penetration elsewhere for a while. If only Havard and Burgess get fit we could go through the roof...
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

I've also been a big critic of Sam Powell and he has certainly improved under Lam - however I don't hear Lam getting a lot of credit for that. Same applies to Isa - a big improvement.

Everyone got stuck in last night but I still don't think we got much from Powell in an attack from dummy half sense. A couple of little runs late on and a solid defensive effort last night and his tries in previous games have been a bonus. He's ok in a team with others providing the go-forward but he's still in the solid, hard-working and dependable class rather than anything higher.

Is Smithies suffering second season syndrome.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the thing is with powell is his 80minutes means it’s probably unfair to compare him to strike hookers who play less minutes
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:56 pm I think the thing is with powell is his 80minutes means it’s probably unfair to compare him to strike hookers who play less minutes
Even if Powell played less than 80 minutes he shouldn’t be compared to a “strike”hooker because he isn’t one. Their role is different.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 am Lam tops my list by miles, though in my defence the stats in all the previous Saints games and semis were horrible. Now he knows and they know what is required, he can hopefully kick on.

My problem with the team itself has been how ineffective our props are post contact, and so I don’t see the point of Clubb, Flower or Partington. However, Powell’s all round game allows us to play a tiny tot as an extra tackler at 13, so that mitigates that, plus Bullock and Singleton are so good as proper props, that when Isa, Farrell and Greenwood dent the line we can make do with zero penetration elsewhere for a while. If only Havard and Burgess get fit we could go through the roof...
Why are you always so critical of the club & the team, you’re the same even after a win. Just enjoy it!

As someone replied to a moaner on Twitter “You should start watching something else instead of RL if all you can do is complain about that game!

“There’s a World Champion Embroidery Competition that may suit you instead of RL!”
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:29 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 am Lam tops my list by miles, though in my defence the stats in all the previous Saints games and semis were horrible. Now he knows and they know what is required, he can hopefully kick on.

Why are you always so critical of the club & the team, you’re the same even after a win. Just enjoy it!

As someone replied to a moaner on Twitter “You should start watching something else instead of RL if all you can do is complain about that game!

“There’s a World Champion Embroidery Competition that may suit you instead of RL!”
Are you suggesting I have no right to follow the club or the sport?
Wow, that’s off the scale mad.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:16 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Are you suggesting I have no right to follow the club or the sport?
Wow, that’s off the scale mad.
That's rich given what you said above!

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but Clubb, Flower and Partington have been picked by successive coaching teams, have respect from opponents and opposition supporters, as well as from many knowledgeable Wigan fans (not least Josie!).

Your opinions on props and hookers seem to come from the fact that you have a fixed idea of how they should play. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

I've always thought that a good coach develops a plan based on what his players can do, rather than trying to make them fit his preconceptions. Then again, you're not a good coach, are you?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

beyond me how any one can find any negatives with last nights game. they where immense to a man and coach both with heart and tactics. If you want to see the true affects of it just visit red vee they cant speak highly enough of us grubs :lol: :lol: not one decent post about last nights rugby just all about how much they hate and call us scum :D :D brought tears my eyes :lol: :lol: . To see that sort of reaction from those brainless half breeds makes my days brighter by the minute. ooooo it hurts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That's rich given what you said above!

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but Clubb, Flower and Partington have been picked by successive coaching teams, have respect from opponents and opposition supporters, as well as from many knowledgeable Wigan fans (not least Josie!).

Your opinions on props and hookers seem to come from the fact that you have a fixed idea of how they should play. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

I've always thought that a good coach develops a plan based on what his players can do, rather than trying to make them fit his preconceptions. Then again, you're not a good coach, are you?
[/quote]

Have I wandered into an alternative reality? Last time I looked, this was a forum in which people expressed opinions. I do have a view that the Wane approach of using lighter props is not the way to go. It is based on watching the game for 50 years and the way the NRL is developing. It is even consistent with the approach which the club suggested it would take after we were taught a lesson by the Roosters in Sydney. And, indeed, signing George Burgess himself suggest that we are looking for big props who make metres after contact.

Now, you may disagree, and I can see your point, but has this become a cult web site in which no opinion is allowed which diverts from the official line is allowed? I am pleased to debate lots of issues, but to be told that I should stop following the entire sport based on an opinion which is in line with that stated by the club in the past is beyond bizarre. And, could I be bothered to take offence, offensive.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:16 pm That's rich given what you said above!

Have I wandered into an alternative reality? Last time I looked, this was a forum in which people expressed opinions. I do have a view that the Wane approach of using lighter props is not the way to go. It is based on watching the game for 50 years and the way the NRL is developing. It is even consistent with the approach which the club suggested it would take after we were taught a lesson by the Roosters in Sydney. And, indeed, signing George Burgess himself suggest that we are looking for big props who make metres after contact.

Now, you may disagree, and I can see your point, but has this become a cult web site in which no opinion is allowed which diverts from the official line is allowed? I am pleased to debate lots of issues, but to be told that I should stop following the entire sport based on an opinion which is in line with that stated by the club in the past is beyond bizarre. And, alling Josicould I be bothered to take offence, offensive.
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. My point was about you calling Josie mad because she didn't agree.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐