Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Lam

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I think that last night’s victory, which I thought was a coaching masterclass, guarantees his position next season.

One thing we can learn from last night is how to protect the fullback when faced with taking a high kick, Saints are masters at preventing attacking players from contesting for the ball.
benjamaphone

Re: Lam

Post by benjamaphone »

Agreed re Lam - if this is down to him then I'm more than happy to see him stay for longer.

On your other point, can someone more knowledgeable than me explain how preventing attacking players from contesting the ball doesn't constitute an obstruction? Especially the obvious way Saints did it all last night - no intention of contesting the ball, even looking directly at the attacking players they are moving to obstruct!

I've seen it more this season than ever before and it winds me right up.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The thing is as a defending play you don’t need to contest the ball and you don’t need to get out the way all you need to do is not change direction of your movement or push out attacking players so you can run towards the ball then stop and stand and that is legal
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I don’t think any decisions regarding Lam should be made until the end of the season. We have the chance to finish top and a chance of winning the play offs.

We’ve seen in the last two games how well we can play but across the last two years we haven’t won the big games.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Really pleased with the performance last night but it was only one game. Our best performance for two seasons but it's taken two seasons to get there. If we can play like that or better when it really matters at the end of the season then Lammy would have shown that his coaching has improved the team and I'll be happy for him to get another contract.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He showed everything that I wanted to see from him, in selection, tactical planning, motivation and preparation. Maybe he just needed more time to stamp his mark. I have met him a couple of times, and he always struck me as a really thoughtful, good man. More of the same and he can stay as long as he likes.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Can stay for me, It was obvious it was going to take a long while to get things running like he wanted, Just hope this is the real deal and we continue to pick up some great wins
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:37 pm Can stay for me, It was obvious it was going to take a long while to get things running like he wanted, Just hope this is the real deal and we continue to pick up some great wins
Love the positivity, Meds. We might see more of it next season when Lockers has gone?

;)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I hope lam stays another season personally........ hopefully we can push on now with no stupid hiccups.ie:hull kr....... after last nights performance i reckon lammy would get slaughtered if we lost against huddersfield next week
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Interesting to see how this goes. I didn't want Lam as head coach at any price, he's here and I want him to be successful as any Wigan supporter does.

In fairness to him that was one great win last night. Beating Saints at a neutral venue which just happened to be their home ground was exceptional. Winning four tries to one was a terrific performance. It has to be said though that for the first time for a long time he had any number of experienced players out there especially in the pack. Staring props of Bullock and Singleton are as tough a nails and they nailed it. Bench props of Flower and Clubb add so much experience. His usual back row of Isa and Farrell have plenty big match game time plus Lam's choice of Partington at loose gave the whole pack a toughness we've not seen for a very long time. Greenwood was stand out plus Smithies adds great work rate.

That squad set a standard that will alarm our opposition for the season's games to come. That's if we have a season's end with this recent lockdown. How the Gov't restrictions appear in legal text will be interesting. Should we continue then Lam has to repeat that kind of win in the games to come. Win the LLS or the GF then IL & Rads will have to make difficult decisions. If Lam doesn't then they will still have those difficult decisions.