New Badge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: New Badge

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:27 pm Radlinski is talking nonsense about the cost of embroidering badges on shirts because that haven’t done that for two years.

They print them already which means you can have as complex a design as you like for the same (cheap) price.

As to other merchandise such as baby grows that do have an embroidered badge it’s obviously not entered his head people buy these things because the embroidery makes it a quality product and isn’t something that will flake off after a few washes.
Costs go up with the size of the colour pallete. So even printed will be cheaper with a monochrome logo.
Dye sublimation printing is a bog standard way of printing onto material from an image stored on a computer and I bet the net cost of using addition colours is zero because you normally print the two monochrome colours e.g. onto different coloured polo shirts or whatever. In any case Rads was on about the cost v embroidering which they have not done for two years on the replica kit.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote: If it generates more money for the club and an improved number of fans then so be it but, i think it will take a season or two for this to grow on me (if it the future for many seasons to come).
The improved number of fans has got to be joke. Other clubs have abandoned traditional crests and their fan base is pretty much as its always been.

Sounds to me like Rads has been the victim of a clever sales pitch conning him into thinking a new badge is crucial when in fact it is probably going to have zero effect other than annoying the existing fan base. Money wasted spent on design consultants and what not.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Said it before and I’ll say it again radlinski needs to go he doesn’t have any consideration for fans he thinks he can tell fans what to think and they will - bit like when he told us Mitch Clarke is the most destructive forward in the league

Some will defend him say it’s not his fault - but he is in a position that should of challenged this

There’s ways and means of doing things and this isn’t it - like Mike said this could easily of been done as a sub brand a lifestyle range leaving the playing attire with the traditional crest

The club have treated fans with utter contempt for a while now and it’s wearing very thin
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:23 pm
Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:27 pm Radlinski is talking nonsense about the cost of embroidering badges on shirts because that haven’t done that for two years.

They print them already which means you can have as complex a design as you like for the same (cheap) price.

As to other merchandise such as baby grows that do have an embroidered badge it’s obviously not entered his head people buy these things because the embroidery makes it a quality product and isn’t something that will flake off after a few washes.
Costs go up with the size of the colour pallete. So even printed will be cheaper with a monochrome logo.
Dye sublimation printing is a bog standard way of printing onto material from an image stored on a computer and I bet the net cost of using addition colours is zero because you normally print the two monochrome colours e.g. onto different coloured polo shirts or whatever. In any case Rads was on about the cost v embroidering which they have not done for two years on the replica kit.

Not sure what you're getting at. The new logo would be cheaper to print because it's got only one colour plus white. The old one has four plus white, so the new is cheaper to print, the process has way fewer steps.

You say it's irrelevant to talk about embroidered logos because the club hasn't done that for two years. Maybe they haven't because it costs too much and now they can with a simpler logo? Perhaps we'll see embroidered logos reappear. I doubt it though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:32 pm Said it before and I’ll say it again radlinski needs to go he doesn’t have any consideration for fans he thinks he can tell fans what to think and they will - bit like when he told us Mitch Clarke is the most destructive forward in the league

Some will defend him say it’s not his fault - but he is in a position that should of challenged this

There’s ways and means of doing things and this isn’t it - like Mike said this could easily of been done as a sub brand a lifestyle range leaving the playing attire with the traditional crest

The club have treated fans with utter contempt for a while now and it’s wearing very thin
Completely agree,Radlinski lost all credibility for me with the ridiculous Australian trip and how much money it was going to make,this smacks of the same contempt then as now.

I’d have no objection to the badge as you say for training/measure wear it would separate the crest for use only on match shirts,I hoped that’s what it would be,I was wrong sadly.

As I said a couple of pages back though it’s the dire quality of Hummel that’s really got my back up,the wife and I,with no exaggeration would spend at £400/500 quid between us on merch and have done for many seasons this year I spent a fiver,didn’t even get a shirt,the quality wasn’t there and being a bit of the lardy side the sizes weren’t there,no such excuse for the wife so it was purely down to value for money for her,she spent a tenner all season.

The way the club brushes fans wishes aside while telling us,usually patronisingly while they’re at it,they’re are in the right irks me no end,the people behind this should hang their heads,you mess with a club crest at you peril perhaps they should have thought about that.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The badge is awful. Terrible. A pathetic dumbing down of what is a very good crest.

The club has lost 2 sales of shirts from me this year. Hopefully they won't sell any and get back to their senses.

KR- you need to go back to school.

Please don't try and tell me what character traits a "Wiganer" might have, and somehow try to tie it back to your Mickey Mouse badge. Very very patronising.

If you want to get the badge to tie into the name, drop the "Warriors" tag. The players are not "Warriors", they are professional RL players. The club is Wigan RLFC.

The badge (used) to mean something. That is enough.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Also don’t tell me I’m one sentence that the new crest saves you money on producing merch then advertise a body warmer at £70
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am really shocked to read any negativity about the badge, on this forum. :D
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

I agree, drop the warriors theme altogether.
We have a massive banner at the stadium for home games it says “WE ARE WIGAN” that is the brand, that is what makes us who we are and that is what means the most to the supporters.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Having had chance to sleep on it, i still feel no differently at all. That design is a kick in the teeth for the fans and is absolutely awful. What should have been an exciting afternoon with Bevan French re-signing for next year and poss year after, turned out to be the biggest shower of s**** the club has probably ever seen.

How can they be so out of touch with the fan base? Apparently the crest is outdated and doesnt represent the club (based on some survey, probably of non Wigan fans). It is recognised globally, how much more iconic does it need to be?

i havent trawled all the pages as i know that the majority consensus is that it is bloody afwul and has alienated the loyal fanbase like nothing i can remember previously. Yes, we have had some kit designs that people dont like and some suppliers that we dont like, but this really just takes the biscuit.

How much have they paid to a consultancy to design that? Are they the same ones knocking up the track and trace system for Covid, cos that's sh*** too :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Whilst many of us have been fans for many years, i would bet that we all accept that things change and move on, but there is a time and a place, but more importantly a way to manage that change and Wigan have got this one so wrong IMO. Well managed change is all about engaging with key stakeholders. In this case the fans, who are the ones likely to be purchasing merchandise and i think they got it wrong. This has the making of a disaster and club shop sales plummeting. Many fans have accepted the current situation and supported the club by giving up their season tickets and still purchasing merchandise despite no chance of watching games in person this year, and then this is the reward.

I have said previously that i am not interested in the mascot, pre / post match entertainment or things going on under the South Stand, but accept that it is required to attract new younger fans / retain existing fans. I am happy with rocking up to the game 5 minutes before kick off and then going home after the game as i have other commitments outside of watching Wigan RL. I also understand that others want to be there early / post game, and i applaud the club for looking after those supporters, as at the end of the day we all may want something different out of our game day experience.

Similarly with social media, things have changed and marketing has changed and times have moved on. i have joined facebook, twitter and instagram, so that i am up to speed with what is going on in the world and with Wigan RL. Yesterday the phone was on fire with unhappy people on all 3 social media platforms that i use.

Anyway, sort of rant over. I wont be buying anything with that logo on it, and will quite happily continue to wear my current iconic crested club wear, and may even have to pull some of my collection out of the attic :)