New Badge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: New Badge

Post by Caboosegg »

I don't like it but the amount of people who claim they know better than the club about the cost of clothes printing/production is amazing.

Can we get links to you merch pages, with so much understanding you products must be quality.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:08 am Also don’t tell me I’m one sentence that the new crest saves you money on producing merch then advertise a body warmer at £70
exactly, changed the badge and out the prices up, thought it was supposed to other way around
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i've just read some comments about the cost of the crest too.

what a load of b*******

they are printed. The initial design attracts the cost, and then its into print press and just run them off. Makes no difference at all to the cost how many colours are involved (i manage club kit for a local club so have experience of how the process works with different manufacturers)
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:22 am I don't like it but the amount of people who claim they know better than the club about the cost of clothes printing/production is amazing.

Can we get links to you merch pages, with so much understanding you products must be quality.
so same producer as last year but costs more but supposed to be a cheaper design, can you see the lies yet?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Now what are Wigan Warriors up to at Saints?

BUOYED by their first win against Saints since 2018, Wigan have taken their reclamation of bragging rights up a notch by projecting their new club crest on to the side of the Saints ground at the weekend.

Wigan's pack were whooping by the end of Friday's win - which took them to the top of the Super League summit.

And the manner of that defeat - and its consequences for the table - will have wounded Saints and their supporters far more than this gimmick.

Some observers claim the badge imitates the Canberra Raiders logo - the NRL team that features a number of ex-Warriors in their ranks.

Wigan explain that the warrior is from the the famous Brigante Warriors who roamed the town in the Iron Age a name synonymous with the club's vocal fans from a few years back.

Either way, the banter it is certainly building as we head into the season's finale.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/188 ... rs-saints/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:22 am I don't like it but the amount of people who claim they know better than the club about the cost of clothes printing/production is amazing.

Yes it is relatively easy. I manage club kit for a local club and have suppliers contacting me regularly.

I would say that O'Neills are one of the best around (note there are others available too). They do lots of local RL clubs and some professional clubs too. Process is easy. They did the designs for me (free of charge) and there is no additional cost for multiple colours.
If i want a completely sublimated garment with 100's of colours there is a small minimum 1st order, and after that the design is available to print at will when one of our club wants to place an order. My club members now go onto the website, place and order and it gets delivered - pricing £37 for a hoodie and quality is bang on as an example
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

How fans reacted on social media to Wigan Warriors' new badge

Wigan Warriors tonight launched their new badge - and fans were quick to give their verdict on social media.

Here are a few of the comments from Twitter and Facebook....

Tom Regan: "I get the reasoning but I don't like the result. The 'warrior' looks so stupid. Could accept a simplified version of the old crest. This is poor."

Ian Moore: "Must be an April fools... lockdown must have dragged on... shocking n rubbish."

John Cumberbatch said: "Surely they could have waited until a graphics designer was back from furlough?"

Myles Hampson: "Are the benefits worth upsetting all your regular fans ? Could a selection of new badges not have been put to a fan vote?"

Adam Oasgood: "I think it's a disgrace and whoever gave the ok on this monstrosity should hold there heads in shame. I won't be buying any Wigan merchandise whilst it has this abomination on it."

Gareth Santa Jones: "The crest had soul and meant something to every wiganer this new badge is just tacky and cheap"

Martin: "The reasons for change are valid and I support but the end product they’ve come up with is massively different. Look at some of the biggest companies in the world, very few change that dramatically."

Toby Stretch: "The round logo design is really nice and someone has put effort into it - just the middle "viking" logo seems to be a bit misplaced in my opinion."

Gareth Morgan: "The club is almost 150 years old and you now decide to force this monstrosety of a badge on fans??? REALLY??????"

Mark Gibson: "I don’t mind change but it would have made sense to keep part of the crest as the centre, similar to what Latics have done."

Liam Rouse: "Modern? It looks anything but modern. No one refers us to us as the “warriors”. We don’t sing it in any of our songs and never will do. We’re being told by SL how to “brand” our club. We tried it in 97 and it never worked then, it won’t work now."

But some fans liked it.

Kate Iddon: "Judging by the comments, I think I may need to invest in a tin hat...but I actually like it ! It’s not Wigan as we know it, but it’s modern & it’s different & looks brilliant on the new training range"

Gail Featherstone: "Gotta progress in the digital world...! The crest will still be used on player’s suits etc We need to support the club in what has been a difficult year...the badge won’t matter when we’re watching Bevan French bag a hat trick to win us the GF in 2021"

United Robbo: "We’ve gone more Warrior than Wigan is what I feel people think is the issue. I think, in time, people will understand & grow fond."

Ian Wildgust: "Controversial-but I don’t think it’s that bad! People don’t like change"

Simon Hill: "Love it. Looks amazing. Big fan of the Canberra/Widnes twist with the Raider Viking Warrior in the centre."

Kieron: "Nothing up with it. It’s time to modernise our great club."

James Roughley: "understand the commercial aspects of it massively. Often thought our merchandise looked cheap and outdated so hopefully moving forward on that front."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 768?r=1378
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The whole thing is just a huge own goal for the club and it is incredibly poor treatment of fans

why not explain the need to fans for the change and have a bit of fun could of done a voting system or designed it with fans with iterative feedback. The best option would to have launched this as a separate lifestyle brand. The kit makes up a smaller portion of the overall offering on merch the training tops and everything bar the replica kit could of used the new warrior branding - even playing on the warrior aspect of training "train like a warrior" type vibe. They could of even pushed it further out into gym gear etc.

if the £3.20 badge was an issue on the kit raise the kit price £5 to compensate that element i guarantee that would put off less fans than such an emotive subject as the crest.

Radlinski is so far out his depth in his role but doesnt look like acknowledging it anytime soon - this could of been a really good initiative personally i like the idea of lifestyle ranges but i wont be buying anything out of this range especially looking at the prices considering my feelings on the badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

The only way the club will even consider doing anything about it is if merchandise sits on the shelves rather than flies off them.

If plenty of us don't buy anything with the logo then that sends a bigger message than anything. Sadly half the people who moan and groan about the change will still spend a fortune on the product.

If you want to get their attention. Stay away from the store.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 am The only way the club will even consider doing anything about it is if merchandise sits on the shelves rather than flies off them.

If plenty of us don't buy anything with the logo then that sends a bigger message than anything. Sadly half the people who moan and groan about the change will still spend a fortune on the product.

If you want to get their attention. Stay away from the store.
It’s very easy to do during a lockdown that’s for sure,no doubt as ever they’ll spew numbers that claim everyone and his dog has bought the merch though