Kris Radlinski BBC podcast

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Kris Radlinski BBC podcast

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:24 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:51 am
Wintergreen wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:26 am

This is where he and IL are out of their depth.

The club is the most famous in the world. It doesn't need a rebrand.
What exactly does most famous club in the world mean? How is it measured? What value does it bring?

Wigan currently have:

52,000 instagram followers
91,000 facebook followers
117,000 twitter followers
average attendences of what 12,000?
An owner pumping his own money in on a yearly basis so we break even

Now I get most of this is a rugby league problem rather than Wigan warriors and I am not sure how the above compares to other clubs, but they're trying to aim higher, be more modern, relevant, appealing etc. You cannot blame them for trying because Rugby League is dieing, we shouldn't settle for mediocrity.
The issue is though its putting the cart before the horse here - if you look at the figures you've stated above its clear there isnt a massive following for what is arguably the most well know team in Rugby League

So any growth has to be carefully managed - because if you have a small fan base to start with then you need to be very careful not to alienate that core fan group because you need them to grow. so you have to ask the following quetions;

Will this move bring in more followers/supports = no
Will this move increase spend in you existing core group = not likely by the reaction

Its addressing the wrong issues isnt it - im sure no ones watching rugby league for the first time and said "you know what id be into this more if the badges were more simple and modern"

I think this is exactly the move to make when you have a growing sport - but rugby league isnt growing.

Ive said it before and i will say it again but you cannot grow a sport by the quality of the sport itself, nor can you grow it by a team, you cant even grow it by exposure.

to grow a sport you need players to transcend it, outside your core base to bring in fans you need characters you need people - people bring fans and thats how you grow. Have a poster boy/girl for you sport is absolutley essential to bringing in casual fans - how many of us on here have watched more NRL due to the fact Batty and George went over there - no of that number mabye only 10-15% stay on as fans but you do that a bit over time and you grow. If i ask someone about rugby league there isnt a single player anymore who exists outside the sport THATS the problem, not merchandise which will be bought primarily by the group of people youve just p$$$ed off
Excellent post.