21-man squad vs Huddersfield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: 21-man squad vs Huddersfield

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:52 am

Is it worth the risk?

Our best two performances have been the last two games were our forwards have laid the platform and allowed us to make good yards and gain possession. How fit is George B? How many minutes can he do? What impact will he truly make because so far for whatever reason he looks crap. If he is to be brought in, it has to be to replace Tony Clubb. We cannot risk him and Clubb in the same 17.
This is a very good point, George needs a game if fit.
If Dom comes in then who misses out, Burgess or Bibby?
Bibby.
Gildart if you go off last week 😂.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Last week went well, but (and it is a huge but) if we look back at the semi final, our forwards failed to make ground against Leeds; they are too small and throw themselves to the ground rather than drive through the line. We are stronger than then now because of Singleton, but would be stronger yet if George Burgess could put in a decent shift. Better still if Havard recovers (hasn’t he had 6 weeks by now?). If the conditions are firm and dry like last week, then it is less of an issue, but that seems a big ask for games in the second half of November. Hence, I would play Burgess if, and only if, he is fit enough to take the ball in powerfully.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Same team plus anther forward to replace Greenwood.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:34 pm Last week went well, but (and it is a huge but) if we look back at the semi final, our forwards failed to make ground against Leeds; they are too small and throw themselves to the ground rather than drive through the line. We are stronger than then now because of Singleton, but would be stronger yet if George Burgess could put in a decent shift. Better still if Havard recovers (hasn’t he had 6 weeks by now?). If the conditions are firm and dry like last week, then it is less of an issue, but that seems a big ask for games in the second half of November. Hence, I would play Burgess if, and only if, he is fit enough to take the ball in powerfully.
Too many if's and buts with Burgess for me.

What is his best return in a Wigan shirt for Carries, Meters, Tackles?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Surely it has to be the same 17 (excluding Greenwood) for this weekend?

Regardless of 'supposed full fitness', George Burgess and Sean O'Loughlin are not required, form and match fitness are essential now going into the playoffs!

Will be superb to pip Stains to the LLS! For a trophy which is designed to acknowledge consistency throughout the season, it doesn't seem to be very desired IMO.

Byrne in for Greenwood, Smithies to second row.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Cannot understand the fascination with Byrne. Not that great prior to the lockdown to be fair

He was poor on the games resumption and it was only the fact (or rumour) he was one of the players self isolating that saw Wigan move early for Singleton. I suspect it was more disappointment with the poor impact/form of the misfiring Burgess and Byrne

A move that has IMO pushed Byre further down the pecking order with Clark
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: