St Helens coach Kristian Woolf was surprised more Wigan players weren't punished for high shots in the derby.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

St Helens coach Kristian Woolf was surprised more Wigan players weren't punished for high shots in the derby.

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Greenwood will miss tomorrow's game against Huddersfield after being hit with a two-game suspension for a challenge which earned him a yellow card in their 18-6 victory.

But Woolf felt there should have been more action taken by the RFL's match review panel.

"I thought the high tackles would have been more looked at," he told the St Helens Star. "We had five high shots in the game, that is too many in itself. Some of those, particularly the last one, were poor."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ch-3026335

Will Joe Greenwood's ban be reduced after season cut short?

Adrian Lam says Wigan plan to check whether they can have Joe Greenwood’s suspension reduced in wake of the restructure to the end of the season.

On Monday night, the forward was handed a two-game ban for a high shot in the derby win at St Helens.

Warriors were due to play three games before the semi-finals, and a potential Grand Final - meaning Greenwood would have been free to return with a regular Super League game to go.

But since then, the season has been cut short, and tomorrow’s clash at Huddersfield will be the Warriors’ last match before the play-offs.

Also, if they win and finish top, they will get the following week off before playing in a semi-final - meaning Greenwood would only be eligible to return in the Grand Final itself, should Wigan get there. It’s an issue Lam plans to explore with the authorities.

“We feel we have got a reason to potentially see if there is a way to minimise it, considering we’ve lost two games out of the season,” said Lam. “After this week we still had Leeds and Hull to play (when Greenwood was issued his ban), so I’m sure the RFL will take that into consideration in the next 48 hours.

“There are two or three other players in Super League who may have the same issues so we just need to get to the bottom of that quickly.”

Meanwhile, winger Dom Manfredi has replaced Greenwood in Wigan’s provisional 21-man squad and may replace Jake Bibby on the wing. Lam suggested George Burgess, Harry Smith or Liam Byrne were in the mix to take Greenwood’s side on the bench.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rt-3025402
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: St Helens coach Kristian Woolf was surprised more Wigan players weren't punished for high shots in the derby.

Post by Mike »

Typical whinging aussie. And they call us!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Re: St Helens coach Kristian Woolf was surprised more Wigan players weren't punished for high shots in the derby.

Post by southportcdm »

He's trying to prep the refereee for the next time we play them. An old trick that suggests he's worried.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Smells like bitterness and fear to me :D
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

This is an ongoing "theme" from the smellies. For a number of years now various incumbents of ye old pig pen have claimed Wigan "head hunt"

The Smellies v Wigan drawn fixture with agent Millward and Mike Gregory was filled with accusations from Millward then that set the tempo for the fixture and the brawl that occurred.

I'm sure every single smelly coach has since made exactly the same claim despite never seeing any indiscretions from their own team.

Perfect example is Makinson. How many Wigan players have done what he did? Perhaps we should insinuate that the smellies are "man-handling" extra balls as a routine and see how they like this mud slung at them
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Whinging Chain Rattler. Should watch back some of his players antics. :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Joe's bad high shot apart, both teams got away with relatively few highs but evens IIRC.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I raise you Jack Wells. Didn’t hear woolfie going on about that incident.