Jai Field joins Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jai Field joins Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are delighted to confirm the signing of Australian back Jai Field.

The exciting 23-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year deal at the DW Stadium, starting from 2021.

Field, born in Wollongong, New South Wales, can play at half-back or full-back and has made 17 appearances in the NRL.

Noted for his dazzling feet and quick turn of pace, Field has been praised for his standout performances Down Under.

After playing 11 games for St. George Illawarra between 2017 and 2019, he joined Parramatta Eels in 2020 where he made six appearances.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski, said: “We are delighted to welcome Jai Field to the Club. He will bring additional excitement to a backline that is already packed full of skill and speed.

“He is very similar to Bevan French with his footwork and has the acceleration that is required to breakdown defences. We will encourage him to express himself on the Rugby league field and have some fun out there.

“He will link up with his teammates in early January once the start of the 2021 super League season is confirmed.”

On signing for the Warriors, Field commented: “I am really excited to be joining Wigan. I feel proud to have been given the opportunity to play for such a big club with huge history.

“I have been watching the team from afar in Australia and I am really enjoying it – seeing them play some fantastic rugby. I can’t wait to be a part of it next year and beyond.

“It was great to see the Club win the League Leaders’ Shield on Friday too. I was buzzing for Bevan French, who I’m already mates with.

“I am looking forward to the challenge and I am confident that I can contribute to gain more success for the Club.

“See you all in 2021!”

Warriors Head Coach, Adrian Lam, added: “Jai is a player I’ve watched since he was 15-years-old. He’s a very smart rugby league player and another X factor addition to our squad in 2021. His skill levels are as good as any in the NRL.

“I see him as another version of Bevan French – he’s got great footwork and pace and he will add to our attacking flair. He could possibly be the quickest player in Super League next year.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/11/ ... ins-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Richymac

Re: Jai Field joins Wigan

Post by Richymac »

Really looking forward to seeing this team put together next season! The strength of our backs is brilliant and with Bateman coming back as well I think it will be a fun season!
Would worry about wingers a bit though but I believe Field and French can play there if needed?
Maybe need to bolster the forwards a bit... Thompson (rumour mill) would be a great addition and get rid of Burgess.
Great to have Field here, I was impressed with what I saw of him last season!
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Looks a decent player, just hope
Not the softener for jacko leaving
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Great signing, It's looking good for next season, If the G Burgess situation can be sorted out and a heavy hitting prop is added then that'll be the icing on the cake
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We're building a team of all-stars capable of winning the World Club challenge again! The more exciting players we recruit, the easier it is to get them all to stay IMO!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm We're building a team of all-stars capable of winning the World Club challenge again! The more exciting players we recruit, the easier it is to get them all to stay IMO!
I hope you are right Mike, but money will talk.
doc

Post by doc »

Lockers retires, Hastings to LF, Field in the halves with Tommy/Smith?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

doc wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 pm Lockers retires, Hastings to LF, Field in the halves with Tommy/Smith?
Leave hastings at 7...... maybe in the future he will be a 13 but hes doing good as he is...... maybe smith will be our 7 next year and jai can swap fullback/wing with bevan to suite....... its a cracking dilemma to have with all these players that can play in multiple positions
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Oldprop

Post by Oldprop »

Could be Gildarts replacement.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Oldprop wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 pm Could be Gildarts replacement.
Shouldn't that post be in "Rumours" ?