Past prop forward recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stanfax

Re: Past prop forward recruitment

Post by Stanfax »

Regarding Boyd - was told by some of my Wire friends (long story!) that on the bus back from a poor performance at Hull that he had a right go at a number of younger players. Tamati is supposed to have asked him to leave it, and when he didn't he put him on the floor of the bus. Can't verify it but hope it was true!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Stanfax wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:50 pm Quite good friends with Nicky Kiss who played in that game as a very young hooker. Hodkinson told him that he was going to sort out one of the opposition to get him sent off and to keep well away. Nicky inadvertently got caught up in it and got his marching orders. Sat in the dressing room all he could think about was half time and what Hodkinson was going to say to him...
One of the most memorable games in 56 years of watching Wigan, Stan. I think it's still available on YouTube.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

It certainly is!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was also at the 11 a side game. I think Goodway stood on Cullen as he was walking off, which prompted Cullen’s attack. Goodway was always one of my favourite players - he had such talent, but was also capable of massive sulks.

I am pretty happy with where we are propswise, as long as Burgess either steps up or retires. Bullock, Singleton and Havard form a very strong unit. I have my doubts about the smaller ones, but they do a job. Mitch Clark is a conundrum, as he has all the physical attributes, but lacks something. In that sense he reminds me of Luaki and the inaptly named Wrecking Ball. During Wane’s time, I think we erred in not looking for (or keeping in Scott Taylor’s case) genuinely big lads. I put this down to Wane’s own experience, and looking for converted second rows to hit the ground rather than dent the line. So, we ended up with the likes of Clubb and Flower.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Is this the "I've got nothing to complain about right now, so let's dig up something from the past to complain about" thread? :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 pm Is this the "I've got nothing to complain about right now, so let's dig up something from the past to complain about" thread? :lol:
No moto its the ive got nothing to moan about and im showing my age by bringing up the good old days thread
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 pm Is this the "I've got nothing to complain about right now, so let's dig up something from the past to complain about" thread? :lol:
No, its a genuine question. Why has our prop forward recruitment probably been our least successful area.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:41 pm
No moto its the ive got nothing to moan about and im showing my age by bringing up the good old days thread
Ha! I'll bet you're younger than I am! :lol:

But much more knowledgeable about Wigan's past history than me, I'm sure.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:20 pm
Ha! I'll bet you're younger than I am! :lol:

But much more knowledgeable about Wigan's past history than me, I'm sure.
to be fair i seem to remember more between the early 80s and 90s than i do between 2000-2020........ probably coz it was all new at first and wigan wernt much good when my dad first stsrted taking me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

:lol: :lol:

I thought it was the "No match this week, lockdown, and not that interested in Wire, Hull, Whinoes or Cats, so let's pass a bit of time talking crap" thread.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐