21-man squad vs Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull FC

Post by Mike »

I'd imagine Hastings will play hooker. I don't agree with it, but seems like that's the plan when Powell goes off. I'd prefer Tommy with Hastings in the halves.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:28 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:11 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm I'd like to see Smith start and Tommy at 9. If Tommy needs spelling, Hastings to 9 and Lockers off the bench to cover in the halves.

French
Bibby
Hardaker
Gildart
Burgess
Hastings
Smith
Singleton
Leuluai
Flower
Isa
Farrell
Partington

Smithies
Bullock
O'Loughlin
Clubb

Bullock could have a bigger impact coming on when they start to tire.
Since you've put Bullock on the bench I assume you have watched our last couple of games? Him and Singleton starting has probably been the biggest reason we have played so well.
I think I explained in my original post. If I hadn't watched our previous games, I don't think I'd be commenting.

I'd like to see the impact he could have against a tiring defence when he's fresh. Hull, with so many big players, seem like a good team to try it against.

Just a thought, nothing to get too worked up about as I don't pick the team :D
My opinion is that the first 20 minute, the opening arm wrestle and possession game is very important. By starting Bullock on the bench we risk not getting off to a good start.

Pointless Bullock coming on against a tiring defence if we are a few trys down and playing out from our own 20m.

It is all hypotheticals though and an interception or mistake can change the swing of things at the click of a finger. For the first time under Lam we are winning the forward battle, gaining possession and allowing the halfs the space to play. At the moment it isn't broken so not sure why we would try and fix it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm I'd like to see Smith start and Tommy at 9. If Tommy needs spelling, Hastings to 9 and Lockers off the bench to cover in the halves.

French
Bibby
Hardaker
Gildart
Burgess
Hastings
Smith
Singleton
Leuluai
Flower
Isa
Farrell
Partington

Smithies
Bullock
O'Loughlin
Clubb

Bullock could have a bigger impact coming on when they start to tire.
I am going to disagree with most people, I believe in keeping a winning combination together so the only change to the starting line up for me would be Bourouh for Powell. The partnership of Hastings and Leuluai has been great for the last few weeks and they are key players so they need to play at halfback. Normally, I would have stuck with the same 17 but I feel that George Burgess has little to offer at the moment and consequently I think that Lockers, if fit, should replace him.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:19 pm Amazing all the comments about Powell’s absence, it is not too long ago that he was being rubbished on this forum! One of the first names on the team sheet for me.
I have been pretty vocal in the past about Powell’s shortcomings however he has started to dial up his performances under lam and I think he’s possibly in the form of his career which is why it’s a shame he’s not in the squad plus I feel his defence would help against hull

I still think he’s limited but he has found a way of playing more to his strengths under lam and it’s improved him as a player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bertina

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:32 pm Lockers on the bench instead of G Burgess. At least lockers is versatile & can play anywhere in the middles, forwards & half back come to that! 😊
My pick would be:
French
Bibby
Hardaker
Gildart
Burgess
Hastings
Smith
Bullock
Leuluai
Singleton
Isa
Farrell
Partington
Subs.
Lockers
Flower
Smithies
Byrne

I just don’t think either Burgess or Clubb
Warrant a bench spot based on what we’ve seen.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

All the covid tests negative according to Wigan Today.
We may as well play Smith as a direct replacement for Burgess. He could not be less effective as a prop. :(
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I heard that Powell was self isolating!

And even if he was in the squad, why would you take him off & move Hastings to play there when Powell can play 80 minutes? That would waste a sub IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I can see like having been said hastings moving to hooker - it’s not a move I’m a fan of but feels like the most likely

I haven’t seen anything in the young lad amir if I’m honest he’s had a few outings and looked out his depth - don’t know what he’s been like in the juniors. I’m not trying to have a go but compare him to smith who’s looked first team quality every game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Levrier wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 pm All the covid tests negative according to Wigan Today.
We may as well play Smith as a direct replacement for Burgess. He could not be less effective as a prop. :(
👏👏👏
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fingers crossed for dry conditions next two weekends
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE