21-man squad vs Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull FC

Post by ian.birchall »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:54 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Not biting on that one, Chariots. It's a time for celebration and looking forward to next week.
Fair enough. I wasn't having a dig at you I was just interested in why you thought that. I agree we should celebrate and look forward to next week. We will take some beating.
Didn't think you were having a dig. I developed an attitude to refs during the 80s when I was taking my 2 young lads to games. I noticed that, even from 3 and 6 years old, they were starting to copy things like booing the ref, complaining about offside etc - some of it from me!

I remember John Monie being invited to comment on a ref and he said "Refs don't miss tackles, or drop the ball. We're here to control what we do, we can't control what refs do."

Thinking about how I wanted to bring up my sons, I decided to just accept refs' decisions. (The ones I criticised at a game often turned out to be right when I saw the replays on telly.)

I found it more enjoyable watching games and focusing on the play, not the ref.

I think Mike and others have detailed some of last night's decision, there were 2 or 3, that maybe went our way. I'm not against anyone who wants to analyse or discuss them. I just prefer not to get into the detail as I find it detracts from enjoyment of the game and appreciation of our great performance.
I have another side to that Morley. In the in dim and distant past before every game was on Sky I regularly took both my son's to the South Stand aka standing at Headingly whenever there was a top match on. Coming out after one game my youngest son wanted to know how come the referees at those matches were better than the ones we watched at Wigan games.
I gently explained that they were the same referees we had at Wigan but when they were watching a game where Wigan weren't involved they were watching it with both eyes wide open not with one eye closed. Seemed to get home to them, except when they were playing rugby!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 am
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am Awesome performance. Just like Watson, I don't like the idea of Hastings at hooker, but it does seem to work. Smith got some good game time in preparation for next week if we need him. Ref gave us all the calls which is worrying that it might even up next week. But the flip side is we'll probably see a hat trick of length of the field tries from French.

Bring on the Cats in the GF!
I wouldnt say he gave us all the calls mike...... before the reverse penalty, isa didnt even knock on and i thought we deserved more set restarts than we got...... the disallowed try was debatable and wigans first try was forward though
I can understand why the referee gave the try because it is very difficult to see everything that happens in a split second, although I believe the VR got it right. Regarding the forward pass, I will have to watch that one again, which pass are you referring to Firestarter?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Not biting on that one, Chariots. It's a time for celebration and looking forward to next week.
Fair enough. I wasn't having a dig at you I was just interested in why you thought that. I agree we should celebrate and look forward to next week. We will take some beating.
Didn't think you were having a dig. I developed an attitude to refs during the 80s when I was taking my 2 young lads to games. I noticed that, even from 3 and 6 years old, they were starting to copy things like booing the ref, complaining about offside etc - some of it from me!

I remember John Monie being invited to comment on a ref and he said "Refs don't miss tackles, or drop the ball. We're here to control what we do, we can't control what refs do."

Thinking about how I wanted to bring up my sons, I decided to just accept refs' decisions. (The ones I criticised at a game often turned out to be right when I saw the replays on telly.)

I think Mike and others have detailed some of last night's decision, there were 2 or 3, that maybe went our way. I'm not against anyone who wants to analyse or discuss them. I just prefer not to get into the detail as I find it detracts from enjoyment of the game and appreciation of our great performance.
I think your approach is a good one and you are certainly right, the referee gets the vast majority of decisions right which often leaves egg on the face of many when they watch the recording. For what it is worth, I think the referee did well last night, yes he made one or two errors but he is no different than the other 34 who took to the field. One gripe I do have is the lack of policing of the offside rule but I think the referee needs the touch judges to police that as he has enough to contend with.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:03 pm

I think your approach is a good one and you are certainly right, the referee gets the vast majority of decisions right which often leaves egg on the face of many when they watch the recording. For what it is worth, I think the referee did well last night, yes he made one or two errors but he is no different than the other 34 who took to the field. One gripe I do have is the lack of policing of the offside rule but I think the referee needs the touch judges to police that as he has enough to contend with.
As I heard from a Wigan fan at Headingley a few years ago: "If that's 10 yards you're not fitting my carpet!"
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:58 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 am
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am Awesome performance. Just like Watson, I don't like the idea of Hastings at hooker, but it does seem to work. Smith got some good game time in preparation for next week if we need him. Ref gave us all the calls which is worrying that it might even up next week. But the flip side is we'll probably see a hat trick of length of the field tries from French.

Bring on the Cats in the GF!
I wouldnt say he gave us all the calls mike...... before the reverse penalty, isa didnt even knock on and i thought we deserved more set restarts than we got...... the disallowed try was debatable and wigans first try was forward though
I can understand why the referee gave the try because it is very difficult to see everything that happens in a split second, although I believe the VR got it right. Regarding the forward pass, I will have to watch that one again, which pass are you referring to Firestarter?
Our first try....... gilly to budgie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just watched it. The pass was fine.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

just watching the Harry Smith try, it struck me, wasn't that pretty much identical to his first Wigan try?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I see that despite it being six days ago, the Superleague website still hasn't got the stats up for Wigan/Hull FC. Or the match report.

Come on SL, pull your finger out!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 pm I see that despite it being six days ago, the Superleague website still hasn't got the stats up for Wigan/Hull FC. Or the match report.

Come on SL, pull your finger out!
Not sure if they bother for play-off games?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:14 am

Not sure if they bother for play-off games?
That never crossed my mind, but good point.

Well, it's not like the play-off games are important or anything... :roll:

Anyway, surely the elephant in the room here is that for the first time, a lot of us won't even be seeing the GF live. Normally we'd be at Old Trafford, or, failing that, at least watching down the pub...