Hastings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big stick
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by Big stick » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am

nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am
pedro wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am
yet out best kicker is smith
Not on last nights viewing.
- Kick out on the full without any pressure
- High kicks landing 20m out rather than on the goal line
- Kicks caught by fullback/wingers on the full
- Not much range
Think it was pressure enough for the young lad playing in a semi final. He seemed to recover well from the blip and at times managed the game with the kick in to touch. Still work to be done on his part but he’s looking promising

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by Nezza Faz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 am

Big stick wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am
nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am
pedro wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am
yet out best kicker is smith
Not on last nights viewing.
- Kick out on the full without any pressure
- High kicks landing 20m out rather than on the goal line
- Kicks caught by fullback/wingers on the full
- Not much range

Think it was pressure enough for the young lad playing in a semi final. He seemed to recover well from the blip and at times managed the game with the kick in to touch. Still work to be done on his part but he’s looking promising

And his passing game and distribution are superb for a youngster his age. Up till now his kicking game been spot on, put his 1st half blips down to semi pressure - can happen to senior pros as well !

No straw damn us
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Hastings

Post by No straw damn us » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am

Nezza Faz wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 am
Big stick wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am
nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am


Not on last nights viewing.
- Kick out on the full without any pressure
- High kicks landing 20m out rather than on the goal line
- Kicks caught by fullback/wingers on the full
- Not much range

Think it was pressure enough for the young lad playing in a semi final. He seemed to recover well from the blip and at times managed the game with the kick in to touch. Still work to be done on his part but he’s looking promising

And his passing game and distribution are superb for a youngster his age. Up till now his kicking game been spot on, put his 1st half blips down to semi pressure - can happen to senior pros as well !
It was Smiths vision to turn the ball back to the outside which resulted in his own try a few seconds later. He was also unlucky with the chip and chase in which he just over cooked the last kick that went dead, mainly due to the pressure put on him by Connor.

southportcdm
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by southportcdm » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:54 am

Let's not forget that Smith hadn't played for several weeks. Lammy chose not to play him in that Huddersfield game (so that G. Burgess could play?). I thought on balance, Harry played well enough to merit serious consideration next week. If Powell isn't fit surely Harry must play. The main problem with Harry playing from the bench (if Powell is fit) is that two of the three forwards (Lockers and Clubb) being considered for the other spots can't play long minutes. I'm assuming of course that George isn't being considered, we certainly can't risk playing him and Clubb under any circumstances.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by Nezza Faz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Just on Powell, anyone know what's going on, it's gone all so secretive ? Or should I have posted this in "rumours"!

keptinthedarkfans
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by keptinthedarkfans » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Beats me that people still single out players especially the kids. Finding fault with even good convincing wins. Everyone who played last night had a job to do and to a man did it to Wigan's standard I thought young Smith was outstanding his vision is great also to come in to pressure game he showed great maturity and he's an exciting prospect. Why not take all the positives of last month and savour them. I for one can only see good times ahead.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 2220
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by nathan_rugby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm

keptinthedarkfans wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm
Beats me that people still single out players especially the kids. Finding fault with even good convincing wins. Everyone who played last night had a job to do and to a man did it to Wigan's standard I thought young Smith was outstanding his vision is great also to come in to pressure game he showed great maturity and he's an exciting prospect. Why not take all the positives of last month and savour them. I for one can only see good times ahead.
It is a forum, some people like to try and analyse performances, tactics etc.

I think Smith has done great this year, he is a real prospect. Just we won doesn't mean I cannot discuss losing Hastings kicking game when playing hooker and that Smith's was off last night and what impact that could have against St Helens.

If we all just said "Well done, good game" after a win and "that was rubbish" after a loss, it wouldn't be a very exciting forum would it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

pedro
Posts: 4283
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by pedro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 pm

nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am
pedro wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am
yet out best kicker is smith
Not on last nights viewing.
- Kick out on the full without any pressure
- High kicks landing 20m out rather than on the goal line
- Kicks caught by fullback/wingers on the full
- Not much range
so like Tommy and Hastings every week?
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

morley pie eater
Posts: 1744
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by morley pie eater » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 pm

nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm
Beats me that people still single out players especially the kids. Finding fault with even good convincing wins. Everyone who played last night had a job to do and to a man did it to Wigan's standard I thought young Smith was outstanding his vision is great also to come in to pressure game he showed great maturity and he's an exciting prospect. Why not take all the positives of last month and savour them. I for one can only see good times ahead.
It is a forum, some people like to try and analyse performances, tactics etc.

I think Smith has done great this year, he is a real prospect. Just we won doesn't mean I cannot discuss losing Hastings kicking game when playing hooker and that Smith's was off last night and what impact that could have against St Helens.

If we all just said "Well done, good game fter a win and "that was rubbish" after a loss, it wouldn't be a very exciting forum would it.
You seem to offer a stark, binary choice between
If we all just said "Well done, good game after a win"
or
"that was rubbish" after a loss
in an attempt to justify this:
Not on last nights viewing.
- Kick out on the full without any pressure
- High kicks landing 20m out rather than on the goal line
- Kicks caught by fullback/wingers on the full
- Not much range
No middle ground, eh?

If you'd said, "Harry Smith clearly has huge potential, though, as you'd expect at his age, he didn't get everything right...", then I'd be more inclined to read and consider your comments.

But just to list 4 criticisms in the way you did can't be justified by saying "If we all just said Well done..."

For which reason, I totally agree with kitdf.
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg

Forever Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Re: Hastings

Post by Forever Warrior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:57 pm

We all wish for the perfect performance but it very rarely occurs. Last night’s was an excellent team performance and that should be what we should focus on for me. All seventeen players were putting pressure on Hull with our aggression and line speed. That line speed, aggression and classy back play will get us home next week.

Post Reply