New captain for 2021 ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: New captain for 2021 ?

Post by CheshireWarrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:20 pm Surely George Burgess isn't on 'marquee terms' next season?

Considering we have Hastings, French and Bateman on our books before looking at any other players?
Why wouldn’t be?
Can you honestly say with any degree of passion that Burgess has earned the equivalent of 12 months worth of job seekers allowance? Never mind a lucrative six figure salary?

More so, the rumours around his injury and his general fitness leave a hell of a lot to be desired in 2021?

Hastings, French, Bateman, Farrell are considerably worth investing in £ more than Burgess.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:20 pm Surely George Burgess isn't on 'marquee terms' next season?

Considering we have Hastings, French and Bateman on our books before looking at any other players?
Why wouldn’t be?
Can you honestly say with any degree of passion that Burgess has earned the equivalent of 12 months worth of job seekers allowance? Never mind a lucrative six figure salary?

More so, the rumours around his injury and his general fitness leave a hell of a lot to be desired in 2021?

Hastings, French, Bateman, Farrell are considerably worth investing in £ more than Burgess.
Is he still under contract next year? Is that the same “marquee” contract he signed ? What do you suggest Wigan do about that?

You’ve jumped the gun and made an incorrect assumption. I don’t believe he’s earned a penny, I just acknowledge he’s under contract and am being realistic about the situation. Bar retiring or a club coming in for him, he’s earning the same money next year as this.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am

Why wouldn’t be?

Is he still under contract next year? Is that the same “marquee” contract he signed ? What do you suggest Wigan do about that?

You’ve jumped the gun and made an incorrect assumption. I don’t believe he’s earned a penny, I just acknowledge he’s under contract and am being realistic about the situation. Bar retiring or a club coming in for him, he’s earning the same money next year as this.
Unless there is an exclusion clause in his contract I agree.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The silence around G Burgess from the club is deafening even lam in his post match interview vs Hull said “we’ve everyone back now barring a few outside backs”

It’s like no one wants to admit he even plays for us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm The silence around G Burgess from the club is deafening even lam in his post match interview vs Hull said “we’ve everyone back now barring a few outside backs”

It’s like no one wants to admit he even plays for us
what do people want the club to say?

Adrian Lam earlier in the season said he would be given time to get over his injury etc, but was probably still rushed back too soon given the level of performance since he returned.

At the end of the day he is contracted to Wigan (sorry i dont know the terms of the contract), so he is a Wigan player until the contract expires or he moves or is moved on or retires through injury. Does he justify his current marquee status in terms of the salary, no, but he has a contract and what would you do in that position?

He may be available but just not chosen due to form which would be completely understandable when others are performing better. Mitch Clark hasnt been near the 1st team for weeks, even when we have been low on front rowers

Does he justify his current marquee status in terms of the salary, no, but he has a contract and what would you do in that position
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

This seems to have drifted a bit from the captaincy discussion, but I did want to flag that I am not sure it matters too much who is named captain, as long as we have a leader or leaders in the side. Our great teams have had players who simply hate losing, and are dedicated all day every day to the cause, some of whom have been captain and some of whom weren’t. What matters to me is that players like Tommy, Hastings, Powell and especially Bateman will simply never give up, and that will inspire the players around them. For players like Havard, Smithies and Smith to see first hand what is required is very important.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Absolutely spot on!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Struck me at the time that “we’ve everyone back now barring a few outside backs” seemed a slightly odd comment. Was presumably referencing Marshall, but anyone else?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm Struck me at the time that “we’ve everyone back now barring a few outside backs” seemed a slightly odd comment. Was presumably referencing Marshall, but anyone else?
What is odd about it?

Burgess and Clarke may be back but just not picked in the squad?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:45 pm
moto748 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm Struck me at the time that “we’ve everyone back now barring a few outside backs” seemed a slightly odd comment. Was presumably referencing Marshall, but anyone else?
What is odd about it?

Burgess and Clarke may be back but just not picked in the squad?
Havard isn’t back.