Grand Final 21-man squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Grand Final 21-man squad

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

medlocke wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:40 pm

With Lockers gone next season, I don't know who'll miss him most Josie: you or Meds :D
I’ll definitely miss seeing him play 💔

He will have to find another good player to pull to pieces every week! 😜
There is no one, IL will have to sign Makinson for me :lol:
Never thought I would see the day that you would rather sign Makinson over Ah Van

:lol:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm

I’ll definitely miss seeing him play 💔

He will have to find another good player to pull to pieces every week! 😜
There is no one, IL will have to sign Makinson for me :lol:
Never thought I would see the day that you would rather sign Makinson over Ah Van

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

George Burgess should be know here near this team.

I think Greenwood in for Flower.
Powell in for Smith

I think this is what he will go for. Biggest decision probably isn't Greenwood vs Burgess, its probably whether to go with 4 forwards on the bench or not.

I think we need 4 forwards on the bench personally.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

We will definitely go with 4 forwards.

We need to dominate in the pack and in particular Walmsley. If we can nullify him, we will win the game.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think we should forget about walmsley and concentrate on what we are gonna do to them....... if they got legs they can be tackled...... a few of there forwards cant be 100% so smash them and take there hearts....... its amazing how 50/50 injuries flare up when things not going there way....... cmon wigan fans, they are more scared of us than we are of them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 am I think we should forget about walmsley and concentrate on what we are gonna do to them....... if they got legs they can be tackled...... a few of there forwards cant be 100% so smash them and take there hearts....... its amazing how 50/50 injuries flare up when things not going there way....... cmon wigan fans, they are more scared of us than we are of them
Walmsley is their best attacking threat in the forwards. In order to nulify him we need fast line speed and to tackle in numbers. The risk is we are too compact in the middle and they utilise him as decoy or throwing the ball behind to halves to shift it out wide.

It isn't as easy as "if they have legs they can be tackled." Tackling by the legs isn't the best way to defend because it more often than not leads to the attacking player landing on his front, getting a quick play of the ball. This will run the risk of offsides, as well as half breaks from the likes of Roby, Makinson, Grace when scotting from hooker. This reason is why you often see the first two players tackling the upper half of the body, slowing the play down and you either wrestle them to the floor or have the 3rd man in. This slows the play and allows the defence to reset.

Walmsley did go down a number of times last week and it looked like issues with his knee. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. With Graham and LMS having knocks to the head, you would assume they are 100% fit if they have passed their HIA and are in the squad.

For me the key to winning will be:
- Stopping Walmsley, Roby, Makinson, Grace making meters
- Winning the forward battle in attack
- Good kicking game on the back of sets

I think its as simple as that as we know we have the halves/backs to create and score tries.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Grand Final 21-man squad

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

If we continue with the inside pass at the ruck, we can target Walmsley defensively, he never plays as well when he is asked to do both parts of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 am I think we should forget about walmsley and concentrate on what we are gonna do to them....... if they got legs they can be tackled...... a few of there forwards cant be 100% so smash them and take there hearts....... its amazing how 50/50 injuries flare up when things not going there way....... cmon wigan fans, they are more scared of us than we are of them
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Target Walmsley, make him work hard in defence and get them going backwards.

Normally I would agree with you in terms of concentrating on our game, but in all honesty Saints are a 1 man team. Stop Walmsley and you stop their go forward/offload game that Roby and Grace thrive on.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:50 pm
Walmsley is their best attacking threat in the forwards. In order to nulify him we need fast line speed and to tackle in numbers. The risk is we are too compact in the middle and they utilise him as decoy or throwing the ball behind to halves to shift it out wide.

It isn't as easy as "if they have legs they can be tackled." Tackling by the legs isn't the best way to defend because it more often than not leads to the attacking player landing on his front, getting a quick play of the ball. This will run the risk of offsides, as well as half breaks from the likes of Roby, Makinson, Grace when scotting from hooker. This reason is why you often see the first two players tackling the upper half of the body, slowing the play down and you either wrestle them to the floor or have the 3rd man in. This slows the play and allows the defence to reset.

Walmsley did go down a number of times last week and it looked like issues with his knee. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. With Graham and LMS having knocks to the head, you would assume they are 100% fit if they have passed their HIA and are in the squad.

For me the key to winning will be:
- Stopping Walmsley, Roby, Makinson, Grace making meters
- Winning the forward battle in attack
- Good kicking game on the back of sets

I think its as simple as that as we know we have the halves/backs to create and score tries.
i get what you mean nathan and i fully understand how it works...... i dont have time for the big long texts much...... however, he can be hit hard and nullified...... yes linespeed is vital as well......ive seen walmsley not wanting to know a few games when hes being smashed early....... leigh did it to him the last time they played saints at home.......... do you think in all honesty he gave his all last week, while he was limping around?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Saints medical staff seem to have a unique approach to HIAs. Apart from Graham, everyone seems, during a match, to be absolutely fine to continue even if their legs can barely hold them up.