Grand Final 21-man squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big stick

Re: Grand Final 21-man squad

Post by Big stick »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Big stick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 pm Send lam packing, we only improved when peet came back. Him and winder are the driving force behind the team.
And bring who in?
They have until March to look who’s available
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Big stick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:48 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Big stick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 pm Send lam packing, we only improved when peet came back. Him and winder are the driving force behind the team.
And bring who in?
They have until March to look who’s available

Must be a wind up :?
Considering top players in the squad say how much Lam has improved them, eg Hardaker, Hastings, Powell ! And two of those have massively ramped up since Waney.

So you're entitled to your opinion, we have free speech ;)
culinator

Post by culinator »

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the crossing ruling that was given against us.

Looked like a possible try would have come from it, penalty given even though Hastings i think it was, was being held by a saints player and couldnt move.

Im not saying this would have changed the result in anyway, i just thought the ruling was very odd at the time
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

culinator wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 am I was just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the crossing ruling that was given against us.

Looked like a possible try would have come from it, penalty given even though Hastings i think it was, was being held by a saints player and couldnt move.

Im not saying this would have changed the result in anyway, i just thought the ruling was very odd at the time
Also the pen we got when burgess had a scoring chance and got dragged back...... i think is was morley who said we got no 50/50 decisions or luck...... thats pretty much bang on imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 am
Southern Softy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 am

Whilst I agree with some of your post, it’s about striking a balance. If you start going wide all of the time, the defensive team don’t need to be compact in the middle and can spread out more. That means there isn’t the space out wide anymore.

It’s a combination of bartering down the middle to make the defence compact. Then to get it out wide and have decoy runners to keep them compact as you get it outwide and hopefully in space.
You're right about going wide all the time but battering down the middle is a holding operation until you can switch the play wide and then, because of our slow play, we've probably used up most of our tackles, a ground kicking game is crucial. George Williams kicking to our left flank was the most potent play we had in Wane's last years but we seem to hardly ever use it now unless Harry Smith is on the field. He's not the messiah but he does offer a something different which liberates Burgess, Gildart and Farrell.
Lets get some perspective here

Wigan finished top of the league
scored the 2nd most points of any team in the league during the season
Adrian Lam won coach of the year
Literally a posts width from winning the Grand Final (Zaks cross bar, Makinsons Drop)
Kept the top points scoring team try less until the final second of the game

you know what i think Lam probably does know what he's doing
Second best is obviously the way to go
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 am
culinator wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 am I was just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the crossing ruling that was given against us.

Also the pen we got when burgess had a scoring chance and got dragged back...... i think is was morley who said we got no 50/50 decisions or luck...... thats pretty much bang on imo
Or Peyroux's obstruction in the second half, very similar to what Zak got pinged for. Another question, how often do you see touch judges getting involved in play now? He didn't waste any time ruling a penalty against Hastings.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:43 am
Firestarter wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 am

Or Peyroux's obstruction in the second half, very similar to what Zak got pinged for. Another question, how often do you see touch judges getting involved in play now? He didn't waste any time ruling a penalty against Hastings.
Ref had no problem with the tackle play was stopped Walmsley on the ground re run on screen or video ref giving the call highlights on BBC2 on Sunday Jonathon Davies said that was never a penalty.