2021 BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE SEASON TO START 11 MARCH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

2021 BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE SEASON TO START 11 MARCH

Post by josie andrews »

The Betfred Super League 2021 season will start on March 11, with the Betfred Super League Grand Final to be played on October 9 at Old Trafford.

The later season start date is a result of the impact of Covid-19 on the extended 2020 campaign and the desire of Super League clubs to give players a much-needed period of recovery and a full pre-season.

Dacia Magic Weekend also makes a welcome return to the 2021 calendar. It will be played at St James' Park, Newcastle, on 29/30 May.

Clubs will play 13 home fixtures in a 27-game Regular Season, including the Dacia Magic Weekend. The later start results in a repeat of the six-team play-off format used in 2020.

Executive chairman Robert Elstone said:

“With our players performing at the highest level, late into November, it is important that we give our players time to recover and prepare properly for the 2021 campaign.

“Many of them will be looking to force themselves into the selection decisions for the Rugby League World Cup and pre-season will be a key part of their plans.

“What is also clear with the ongoing uncertainty around Covid-19 is that a later start date gives us a better chance of playing more games in front of fans in 2021.”

Fixtures for the 2021 Betfred Super League season will be released in January.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... t-11-march
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: 2021 BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE SEASON TO START 11 MARCH

Post by widdenoldboy »

Seems sensible - hopefully Vaccines will be rolling out and some crowds will be allowed.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

13 home games in 12 team league meaning you play every team twice and 3 teams 3 times.

What is the point? It is ridiculous.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am 13 home games in 12 team league meaning you play every team twice and 3 teams 3 times.

It's a 27 game season. Playing each of the eleven other teams twice is 22 games, so that gives 5 extra. Of these, 1 is at Magic, so 2 home and 2 away.

In total each team will presumably play 5 other teams three times, unless Magic opponents are also one of the extra home or away rounds.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am 13 home games in 12 team league meaning you play every team twice and 3 teams 3 times.

Agreed. But if you reduce the number of home games, people will complain that they 'aren't getting value' for their STs. It's a difficult balancing act. But I do welcome the later start. They should do it every year.

What is the point of advertising 'summer rugby', and then starting the season in the coldest and most miserable month of the year in February?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Agreed. But if you reduce the number of home games, people will complain that they 'aren't getting value' for their STs. It's a difficult balancing act. But I do welcome the later start. They should do it every year.

What is the point of advertising 'summer rugby', and then starting the season in the coldest and most miserable month of the year in February?
Who advertises summer rugby?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:48 pm
moto748 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Who advertises summer rugby?
that was one of the main selling points of the Super League when it was brought in. No more winter rugby on wet windy Wednesday nights in January at HKR etc (been there, done that, got the t-shirt - well i turned up in my t-shirt, so wasnt the brightest thing i have ever done :) :) )

The concept was that there would be no football or rugby union to compete with for fans, and that gone were the cold wet winter days / nights watching the game.

i think the stark reality is that it starts end Jan / early Feb, and the real irony is that the GF is often won due to the conditions i.e. p***ing it down - see Leeds v Saints and how Leeds won it years on the trot
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

Agree that it’s the sensible thing to do. The players get a decent break and there should be a real possibility of some fans in the stadia. I will certainly be looking forward to a March start far more than the usual miserable February. It is what it is with the number of fixtures. We have a contract with Sky and clubs need the income more than ever.