“It got to the crux where Wigan said it’s our way or the highway”

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

“It got to the crux where Wigan said it’s our way or the highway”

Post by josie andrews »

Brian Carney believes Grand Final glory for Jackson Hastings would be the culmination of a tremendous story for the Wigan Warriors halfback.

The Australian, appearing in his second consecutive Grand Final, joined Wigan for the 2020 season after guiding Salford to Old Trafford last year.

His performances saw him crowned Man Of Steel in 2019, but his future at the Warriors appeared uncertain throughout the year with the likes of Bevan French grabbing the majority of the headlines.

Carney believes Hastings was heading for the exit doors at the DW Stadium but now has a chance to guide Wigan to another trophy after an impressive run of form.

“Jackson was described to me by a very good friend of mine as a person who can be difficult to deal with and can be difficult in a team environment,” Carney said.

“It’s why Jackson didn’t succeed in the NRL. Do we believe that the Jackson who was difficult to deal with in the NRL became easy to work with over here? That’s not the case. Jackson was a difficult person for the Salford people to deal with, but Jackson got Salford to a Grand Final and Salford accommodated him.

“Jackson went to Wigan and was the same person and had difficulties fitting into this team environment. It got to a crux where Wigan said it’s our way or the highway, and I believe Jackson has taken a massive step in his personal and professional development because Jackson was on the verge of finding out Wigan were prepared to go in a different direction and that Jackson’s approach to team culture didn’t fit in with what they did.

“For Jackson to turn around and adapt to what Wigan wanted to do and make another Grand Final is a wonderful story, a wonderful human story. It’s far from the smooth ride we think it was and there’s a wonderful story to be told there.

“I don’t think Jackson would be at the top of the list of most popular team-mates, but Jackson has had to realise how he’s had to adapt his behaviour to adapt into the Wigan Warriors team culture, but he’s done it and they’ve signed him to a new deal, and I don’t believe Wigan would have signed him if he hadn’t made some substantial changes.”

https://www.totalrl.com/it-got-to-a-cru ... e-highway/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: “It got to the crux where Wigan said it’s our way or the highway”

Post by medlocke »

is he trying to put doubt into Hastings mind ahead of tonight? :evil:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What is his problem? Looks like a personal attack on Hastings.

What is he actually hoping to achieve with this?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don’t read it as anything other than an interesting insight into how Wigan are bringing out the best of him, by making him face up to self destructive habits. The Hardaker stories follow the same theme, and in both cases it reflects very well on the club.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:15 am is he trying to put doubt into Hastings mind ahead of tonight? :evil:
Why on earth?????
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It is also a poor article to go after someone like this without giving specific examples.

What is difficult about him to work with?
Why did he find it difficult fitting into wigans team environment?
What is his approach to team culture?
Why wouldn't he be at the top of most popular team mates?
How has he adapted his behaviour to Wigans team culture?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 pm I don’t read it as anything other than an interesting insight into how Wigan are bringing out the best of him, by making him face up to self destructive habits. The Hardaker stories follow the same theme, and in both cases it reflects very well on the club.
It's the timing
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I guess it's pretty impossible to judge accurately how much of that is just wotireckon by Carney.

My guess is, most of it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 pm I don’t read it as anything other than an interesting insight into how Wigan are bringing out the best of him, by making him face up to self destructive habits. The Hardaker stories follow the same theme, and in both cases it reflects very well on the club.
It does - and Lam must have a lot to do with it in both cases.

I can see the point about timing, but it's surely just the type of story you put out in GF week?

Incidentally, the BBC have done a good job this week with the Hardaker story plus "the original derby" and also Lockers/Graham.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Curious timing and no facts, just supposition. Not very good journalism, really.