Reflections on this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Reflections on this season

Post by Southern Softy »

I was pleased the the LLS changed from being the 'hubcap' when we didn't win it to the best trophy in the world when we did. I think it's always been a really important thing to win and I hope we do it again.
Disappointed that young players went backwards - Smithies, Byrne - it may be illness and it might remind them you have to earn a place in a Wigan team
We still lack pace (French being the obvious exception) but we have for the first time for a while two props (Bullock and especially SIngleton) who can rattle an opposition in the first 20 minutes. Hardaker was outstanding - Hastings seems to have sorted out consistency - Powell has been a revelation, although he seemed curiously subdued at the end of the season and Gildart is still a class act, even though he may yet find himself with another outside wing. Farrell is Farrell - namely, the first name on the teamsheet and pretty much the best around. Havard was the best of the young guns ahead of Partington.
The coach? Still not convinced. I can understand being outcoached by Watson but not by Egar and I worry about our ability to win the crucial big matches under him. No point in complaining - he's not going anywhere soon.
I hope we go one better in the Grand Final next year and we sort out our Challenge Cup form but it's a hope not a conviction.
If we can harness the spirit and bravery that sees players play on with a broken jaw (Budgie) and a broken thumb (Olly) that would be something.
And if Budgie is definitely going to Salford, which would be an even worse mistake than letting Tom Davies go to Cats - I wish him all the success in the world. Watching him has been a privilege.
jobo

Post by jobo »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:34 pm My reflections on this season.

It's mainly been a "proving the doubters wrong" season for my money.

Adrian Lam: must admit I was unsure about him. Not any more.

Sam Powell: it's become clear that he played to Wane's instructions and has had more freedom/better advice under Lam. He's still not the best hooker in SL, but his commitment, example, will to win and quiet leadership make him irreplaceable in the post-Lockers era.

Joe Burgess - unfortunately too late for us. I think his problem with fans may have been body language - he seems casual/languid, but he's a top lad. Wish him well at Salford.

Willie Isa - leading the line, hitting hard again and again. Not the silkiest most skilful player, but a heart of gold grafter. Every team needs one.

I've picked the above examples because they've had their detractors. Some are starting to realise, though I see the "Lam must go" posts have started already, so I guess we'll always have the know-all keyboard experts to tell us what's wrong. Harry Enfield "You don't wanna do it like that."
Sam Powell: it's become clear that he played to Wane's instructions and has had more freedom/better advice under Lam.

To be fair, he had his best season ever in 2017, under Wanes tutelage.

Just saying.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We certainly did better than I expected.
There were good points like winning the LLS which being old and old fashioned means a lot to me as it signifies the most consistent team over a season. The trophy is a bonus to a great achievement.

The improvement since the C Cup semi defeat was impressive and it's obvious that some home truths and heart to heart conversations took place. One of us supporter's moans was Tommy's kicking game, in the semi it was even worse than it usually was. Since then he has hardly made a kick and the team has been better off for it. That must have been hard to take for Tommy but he took the advice and the team benefited.

Whether that improvement was due to Lam or in spite of him I suppose we'll never know. One thing is for sure is that the defence has improved beyond recognition.

In the end we did better than I thought possible until the last three or four weeks by reaching the Grand Final but ultimately a disappointing end to the game. That we reached the GF is very good and therefore I do think that the season was better than I thought it would be.

In view of that and with the signings we've made for 2021 I'm really looking forward to next season and hopefully being able to go to games again.